E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine overheat on new 535i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oil cooler. thats what it was I think...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.p...ht=cooler+sport
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by dolfs' post='499886' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:22 AM
Tonight I drove my July pickup (ED) 535i in city traffic for about 7.5 miles and shortly before my destination I noticed a lack of throttle response. I was driving in manual mode, with the paddles (sport auto) so I downshifted, and things seemed ok. About a 1/4 mile later the ding sound came on the a message to the effect of "engine too hot, drive moderately and let cool down". I was virtually at my destination so I could drive moderately, but less than another 1/4 mile: "ding: Engine overheated stop vehicle immediately. Do not open hood. Scalding risk". The car went into some kind of limp mode and I could barely coast through the parking lot to a spot. I parked and checked over the hood. Did not seem too hot. Touched it and it was warm, but no more. Opened the hood and engine seemed warm, but not excessively so (but then again I do not have this car very long yet, so no real experience with "normal").
I went inside and did my thing. Two hours later when I came back things seemed OK (outside temp was 50F so OK cool down). When I did start the car the airco started blowing hot moist air briefly, my conclusion was that there had been excessive heat in the engine bay. I did make it back home (7.5 miles, 6 on freeway) without incident.

So, what do you think might be the cause? There had been no coolant level or oil level warnings. I had not been driving hard. Computer glitch? Sensor broken? It's dark so I can't do too much visual inspection? I suppose I'll call my SA tomorrow and I'll probably have to bring it in.
Dolf, what the srvice advisor said about your car?

If you touched the oil filter housing metal parts and didn't get burn I'll say you have bad coolant temp sensor.
Else the thermostat stuck close (no coolant going back from the radiator), this would make the oil filter housing soo hot you won't be able to touch it w/o getting burned.

Let use up to date please.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Members

Yes it could be thermosstat...or sensor....or fan unit...or air lock
Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

sorry to hear this.
This is the 1st time I heared that a BMW over heat.
I have never seen a BMW over heat on the road.
Only MB and loads of them too haha
Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Just out of curiousity... does BMW recommend these turbo cars sit idle for a brief period before they are switched off? So the oil doesn't coke?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Members

I had the exact same experience. Six week old, 2008 535 with 3,000 miles. Overheated, etc... pulled over to side of road. Road side assistance to the nearest dealer ship. I was very annoyed with the car being essentially brand new !

Turned out that the fan relay switch had failed, so I presume the electric fans were not operating. All fixed under the warranty and have not had a recurring problem in the past few weeks. So I think this was the problem.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='501160' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:11 PM
Just out of curiousity... does BMW recommend these turbo cars sit idle for a brief period before they are switched off? So the oil doesn't coke?
Synthetic oil doesn't coke. Only conventional oils had this issue. Also, the water pump continues to circulate coolant when it is shut off while hot.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Members

update guys, update on what happened

happened to me exactly last night as what the op stated?
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525

just happened to me today. 95k on mine though. did seem too hot and fan was def. working so i'm leaning towards a temp sensor or t stat. i'm gonna test the sensor and go from there. just very annoying that the car goes into limp mode and leaves you stranded. no temp gauge also doesn't help. thanks BMW.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525i stock options

Could be a dying battery. The e60 has a electric water pump, and my dying battery cause all sorts of issues, such as an overheat. I replaced the batt, and everything was back to normal. Also could be the electric water pump. Early electric versions were known to die at 100k miles.

Quick Reply: Engine overheat on new 535i?