E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine overheat on new 535i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight I drove my July pickup (ED) 535i in city traffic for about 7.5 miles and shortly before my destination I noticed a lack of throttle response. I was driving in manual mode, with the paddles (sport auto) so I downshifted, and things seemed ok. About a 1/4 mile later the ding sound came on the a message to the effect of "engine too hot, drive moderately and let cool down". I was virtually at my destination so I could drive moderately, but less than another 1/4 mile: "ding: Engine overheated stop vehicle immediately. Do not open hood. Scalding risk". The car went into some kind of limp mode and I could barely coast through the parking lot to a spot. I parked and checked over the hood. Did not seem too hot. Touched it and it was warm, but no more. Opened the hood and engine seemed warm, but not excessively so (but then again I do not have this car very long yet, so no real experience with "normal").
I went inside and did my thing. Two hours later when I came back things seemed OK (outside temp was 50F so OK cool down). When I did start the car the airco started blowing hot moist air briefly, my conclusion was that there had been excessive heat in the engine bay. I did make it back home (7.5 miles, 6 on freeway) without incident.

So, what do you think might be the cause? There had been no coolant level or oil level warnings. I had not been driving hard. Computer glitch? Sensor broken? It's dark so I can't do too much visual inspection? I suppose I'll call my SA tomorrow and I'll probably have to bring it in.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm that sounds odd... you wernt driving it really hard just prior to sitting in traffic did you? It could be a faulty sensor like you said...

As an aside: Not that I think this will be the problem but I forget does the 535 have a oil catch can like the 335?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

I am by far no techie but the only time I have overheated in my old 94 camaro sitting in traffic was when my engine fan died and was not working. Had to drive with heat blasting in summer for weeks. Probalby cant happen on these machines so not one clue.

You have to be a hard core gear guy to really diagnose and treat stuff on these machines. I am OK at installs with goodinstructions and lots of help but if anything sways fromt he norm I suck
Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I have the 535xi and I've never heard of this happening to this model. If it happens again take it to the dealer.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dolfs' post='499886' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:22 AM
So, what do you think might be the cause? Sensor broken? It's dark so I can't do too much visual inspection? I suppose I'll call my SA tomorrow and I'll probably have to bring it in.
I would also say a, sensor problem...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Could be the thermostat. If it fails, it could keep the coolant out of the engine. I have had that happen on one car that I owned.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by dolfs' post='499886' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:22 AM
Tonight I drove my July pickup (ED) 535i in city traffic for about 7.5 miles and shortly before my destination I noticed a lack of throttle response. I was driving in manual mode, with the paddles (sport auto) so I downshifted, and things seemed ok. About a 1/4 mile later the ding sound came on the a message to the effect of "engine too hot, drive moderately and let cool down". I was virtually at my destination so I could drive moderately, but less than another 1/4 mile: "ding: Engine overheated stop vehicle immediately. Do not open hood. Scalding risk". The car went into some kind of limp mode and I could barely coast through the parking lot to a spot. I parked and checked over the hood. Did not seem too hot. Touched it and it was warm, but no more. Opened the hood and engine seemed warm, but not excessively so (but then again I do not have this car very long yet, so no real experience with "normal").
I went inside and did my thing. Two hours later when I came back things seemed OK (outside temp was 50F so OK cool down). When I did start the car the airco started blowing hot moist air briefly, my conclusion was that there had been excessive heat in the engine bay. I did make it back home (7.5 miles, 6 on freeway) without incident.

So, what do you think might be the cause? There had been no coolant level or oil level warnings. I had not been driving hard. Computer glitch? Sensor broken? It's dark so I can't do too much visual inspection? I suppose I'll call my SA tomorrow and I'll probably have to bring it in.
This should never happen to a BMW, the car is still uncer warranty so have the dealer check it immediately
Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='499898' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:41 AM
does the 535 have a oil catch can like the 335?
well the 1st batch of non-sport 335's didn't have the oil cooler. now all 335's have them.
the 535 probably has it, but i'm not sure.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='499898' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:41 PM
Hummm that sounds odd... you wernt driving it really hard just prior to sitting in traffic did you? It could be a faulty sensor like you said...

As an aside: Not that I think this will be the problem but I forget does the 535 have a oil catch can like the 335?

Do tell...what are you referring to "oil catch can"?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='500256' date='Nov 28 2007, 03:14 PM
Do tell...what are you referring to "oil catch can"?

I dont know it might not be that haha thats for super chargers right? But wasnt there something that was added to the 335 sports car and not on the 335 non sport? I'm wonder if whatever that was is on the 535.

Quick Reply: Engine overheat on new 535i?