E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine oil recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='842444' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:34 AM
Sorry but you've mistaken my finely developed sense of humor for caustic sarcasm ... you'd have to know me better!

Motor oil is one BMW bodily fluid where looking for a bargain brand is tooooo risky and potentially very expensive. So, especially the case, no matter how oil specs are marketed, where I'd want a "respected brand" oil. Better to try and save money elsewhere.
Hi there. No probs.
All comments are welcome, and I now hear where you're coming from.

I'm not denying that it's sometimes best to go for the comfort and status of a top brand name like Castrol or Mobil. But in my experience it is sometimes just badge snobbery that means people go for these names, rather than a true discernible increase in quality.

Answer me this.......... why would BMW grant approval to these lower level brands (all the ones that I have mentioned), if they did not match up to their stringent standards. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the oil brands go through some sort of testing and approval process by BMW themselves, before a manufacturer can claim BMW LL04 (or whatever) compliance.

I think the top brand companies, and I'm not just talking about engine oils here, sometimes take us uninitiated customers for a ride...........A trip to the STEALERS - is proof of this. I for one would not dream of asking my BMW dealer to diagnose a fault (at the risk of them charging me ???$$$)...... without checking experiences of other members on this forum first.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='842418' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:52 AM
BMW's engines are high tech and expensive. I always use BMW approved oil from the dealer or Red Line which Turner Mototsport uses in their race cars.

I have read Motul is quality, Texaco Havoline is stuff you buy at the discount store where I live, never heard of Fuchs.

I try and find a good price on the best oil.

Fuchs Titan...........Apparently it's the oil of choice for Audi RS4 owners.......second only to Castrol Edge.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Fuchs is the parent company Silkolene which has its high performance oils regarded as some of the best oils you can get.

As long as the oil is LL04 then get the cheapest as they all meet the requirements set down by BMW and the tollerances are so tight there will be next to no difference in them.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gudge' post='842749' date='Apr 10 2009, 05:49 AM
Hi there. No probs.
All comments are welcome, and I now hear where you're coming from.

I'm not denying that it's sometimes best to go for the comfort and status of a top brand name like Castrol or Mobil. But in my experience it is sometimes just badge snobbery that means people go for these names, rather than a true discernible increase in quality.

Answer me this.......... why would BMW grant approval to these lower level brands (all the ones that I have mentioned), if they did not match up to their stringent standards. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the oil brands go through some sort of testing and approval process by BMW themselves, before a manufacturer can claim BMW LL04 (or whatever) compliance.

I think the top brand companies, and I'm not just talking about engine oils here, sometimes take us uninitiated customers for a ride...........A trip to the STEALERS - is proof of this. I for one would not dream of asking my BMW dealer to diagnose a fault (at the risk of them charging me ???$$$)...... without checking experiences of other members on this forum first.
+1. I've been to a couple of countries and the dealers in different countries use different oils as standard during oil changes. I've asked friends in china and I think they use Shell lubricants, in Malaysia my friends tell me they use Petronas and etc.. I'm sure any oil listed as LL04 or LL01 is ok. I myself use valvoline
Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='842777' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:55 AM
Fuchs is the parent company Silkolene which has its high performance oils regarded as some of the best oils you can get.

As long as the oil is LL04 then get the cheapest as they all meet the requirements set down by BMW and the tollerances are so tight there will be next to no difference in them.
Many thanks. This is the endorsement that Iwas looking for.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

In the US, BMW "recommends" 15K miles interval oil change on their "approved" oil.
If I were to use "common/no brand" synthetic oil, I'd reduce the oil change interval to 5- 7.5K miles and do an oil analysis to confirm its performance and effects.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Based on the oil brand and type sold here in the US, the "approved" oil are usually better synthetic vs the regular synthetic available at common auto store.
For ex: German Castrol 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula
(these two are BMW approved and tend to be way more expensive than regular 5w-30s synthetic Mobil 1 or even Castrol.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535d with all the trimmings

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='842607' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:14 AM
If you are referring to viscosity the picture below is from BMW's owner's manual for model year 2004.

There are several acceptable motor oils that meet or exceed BMW's specifications. My point on this post was that shopping to save a few dollars on motor oil now only opens the door for expensive repairs later. In my experience [maintaining my cars in the USA] that the difference between a top brand name oil and a no-name/discount brand is less than $25 for # quarts of oil required to complete the service. If you do the math, that's probably a couple of pennies / mile.

I've used full synthetics [matching or exceeding BMW specs as noted from my owners manual] including Mobil 1 Extended, Castrol Syntec, or BMW Oil [especially when my dealer has a discount coupon] ... recently bought a few quarts of Pennzoil Platinum for one of my other cars. Others have recommended some more exotic synthetics from Red Line and Amsoil.
Thanks Luigi,
I agree with your sentiments on the quality of oil, my preference is the "top shelf" when it comes to oils and replacment parts for that matter.
Of course the main big brands can be sought cheaper with no loss of quality too, I'm all for saving a few notes when possible.

IMO I wouldn't skmp on the quality side, the money will come back to you through performance and fuel economy anyway.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='843254' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:39 PM
In the US, BMW "recommends" 15K miles interval oil change on their "approved" oil.
If I were to use "common/no brand" synthetic oil, I'd reduce the oil change interval to 5- 7.5K miles and do an oil analysis to confirm its performance and effects.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Based on the oil brand and type sold here in the US, the "approved" oil are usually better synthetic vs the regular synthetic available at common auto store.
For ex: German Castrol 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula
(these two are BMW approved and tend to be way more expensive than regular 5w-30s synthetic Mobil 1 or even Castrol.
All the oils I mentioned at the start of this thread are BMW "Approved" in the sense that they comply to BMW LL04 standards.
I would never dream of putting oil in my car that did not comform to the manufacturers correct viscosity or approval standards.
I would not recommend that you contemplate using any oil that does not conform to the correct BMW LL04 or BMLL01 approval status.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roadrunner' post='843658' date='Apr 11 2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks Luigi,
I agree with your sentiments on the quality of oil, my preference is the "top shelf" when it comes to oils and replacment parts for that matter.
Of course the main big brands can be sought cheaper with no loss of quality too, I'm all for saving a few notes when possible.

IMO I wouldn't skmp on the quality side, the money will come back to you through performance and fuel economy anyway.
Does anyone know which brand of oil BMW OEM oil is ? Or do they manufacture their own ? E.g. is it Castrol or Mobil etc. ?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

It all depends on where you are in the world and what price BMW get on different oils there. Dealers in the UK seem to be using Mobil1 but BMW paperwork recommends Castrol Edge. It depends on the price of the oil as to what the service centre use. As long as it conforms to LL01 or LL04 there will be very little difference in oils, the tollerances are so tight it doesnt matter how much it cost they are all the same pretty much. I was told that Audi use a Fuchs oil running in oil from the factory yet they also recommend Castrol edge(different one to BMW) as you top up oil. I dont know what BMW use from the factory though but I doubt its the same as you get when the car is serviced.

Quick Reply: Engine oil recommendation