E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Because this is not better than the 5w-30 EP.
I have these in the garage from previous oil changes. Still have two 5 qt containers left.
Look up Mobil1 and their marketing. Simply look on the back of the bottle too. This is the silver cap and EP is the gold. The EP is a better oil if you do some research. Most people buy into it because it has some "approved" and some so called "high-end" vehicles listed. This oil requires you to change every 6-8K mi. Although the EP does go 15K miles before breakdown most people don't stretch that long. To each his own reseach
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I have these in the garage from previous oil changes. Still have two 5 qt containers left.
Look up Mobil1 and their marketing. Simply look on the back of the bottle too. This is the silver cap and EP is the gold. The EP is a better oil if you do some research. Most people buy into it because it has some "approved" and some so called "high-end" vehicles listed. This oil requires you to change every 6-8K mi. Although the EP does go 15K miles before breakdown most people don't stretch that long. To each his own reseach
The Mobil 1 5W-30 EP does not meet BMW's LL-01 specs. Furthermore, it's not recommended by either BMW or Mobil for BMW cars. Simple as that!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you see in your research that forms your opinion that the 5W-30EP is a better oil than 0W-40?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

here we go again...... put whatever you want in your car. Put olive oil for all I care. It's your car not mine! Im not going into an oil debate and I'm not going to sit here and write a few paragraphs.
Mobil1 does meet the LL-01's specs. Have it analyzed yourself if you care so much. it doesn't have the "stamp" of approval and I'm surprised the cheaper 0W-40 Mobil1 advertises it. It's all about false inflated standards.
And America is fighting for their FREEDOM! The Federal Reserve is a government entity! clueless sheep. Glad I don't need to depend on any of you.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here we go again...... put whatever you want in your car. Put olive oil for all I care. It's your car not mine! Im not going into an oil debate and I'm not going to sit here and write a few paragraphs.
Mobil1 does meet the LL-01's specs. Have it analyzed yourself if you care so much. it doesn't have the "stamp" of approval and I'm surprised the cheaper 0W-40 Mobil1 advertises it. It's all about false inflated standards.
And America is fighting for their FREEDOM! The Federal Reserve is a government entity! clueless sheep. Glad I don't need to depend on any of you.
I couldn't agree more!
I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Formula:

Name:  mobil3_zps2cd6e0d7.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  54.6 KB

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Name:  mobil5_zps6a36e623.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  45.8 KB

The number to look at is:

High-Temperature/High-Shear

This test is a simulation of the shearing effects that would occur within an engine. In fact, it's actually designed to simulate motor oil viscosity in operating crankshaft bearings.

Under high stress conditions where shearing can occur, the VI Improvers (polymers) break down. As they do, the viscosity of the oil decreases. This is what the High Temperature/High Shear test checks for.

The HT/HS test is measured in Centipoise (cP) as the Cold Crank Simulator test is. However, in this case, because you're hoping for the least loss of viscosity with an increase in heat and stress, you want the cP value to remain high.

Go with the best/highest HTHS you can get and protect your engine and give you peace of mind. The difference in real world, daily driven fuel economy doesn't exist or I guess I should say no one has ever been able to even demonstrate it to me let alone prove it.

When you look at this number, you see that Mobil 1 0W-40 is by far the best oil. And is the reason that both Mobil 1 and BMW recommend it over the EP:

Mobil 1 statement for my 545i:

Name:  mobil1_zps4f345ae9.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  40.6 KB

It's running $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart, so, I don't know, it seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

And let's not forget that there are negotiated "endorsement" fees paid to auto manufacturers by oil suppliers so in many instances it is near impossible to determine whether a given synthetic oil brand/formulation is not recommended simply because the supplier won't play that game. I sincerely doubt that my 550i gives one wit whether I'm using an un-recommended 0w-40 or 5w-30 as long as it is fully synthetic.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and had no issues, I have a 2006 530i with 68.900 miles.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by EddieboyS
And let's not forget that there are negotiated "endorsement" fees paid to auto manufacturers by oil suppliers so in many instances it is near impossible to determine whether a given synthetic oil brand/formulation is not recommended simply because the supplier won't play that game. I sincerely doubt that my 550i gives one wit whether I'm using an un-recommended 0w-40 or 5w-30 as long as it is fully synthetic.
That's where the HTHS number comes into play unless that's rigged as well.

I don't see the issue with 0W-40 when it cost $24.97 for 5 quarts. Why bother using anything else?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

I buy BMW LL oil for $5.90 a quart so what's the point in all this whining, crying and bickering.
I use what I have on my shelf. Some people do not have access to a BMW shop. A LOT of walmarts do not have the classy, fancy "European 0w-40" I bought the last two 5 qt. jugs within 50 mi. radius a while ago. The 5-30 EP is at all walmarts and easily findable. Although a few dollars more per 5 qts it works just fine and you can still go 7500 mi. on an oil change easily. All three of my bimmers last and I've always used a 5w30. BMW LL is a 5w-30. Last oil change I used a 0w-30. Who really cares. The car isn't going to last forever and I personally hope a tree falls on 3 of my bimmers so I can switch them with Hondas. Ok, scatch that. No on my roadster but on the others I could care less...they're all depreciating assets.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Questions