E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine oil at minimum level

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011
Default Engine oil at minimum level

I started getting "Engine oil at minimum level" message at around 70k miles. I have been dealing with this problem by adding one quart of oil at a time. It seems getting worse now. I get the oil low message after just 1,800 miles of oil change at 83k miles. No oil leak was found. What could be the cause of this ?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Is your car smoking at all? Could be valve stem seals and/or guides.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Is your car smoking at all? Could be valve stem seals and/or guides.
Just some white steam in the cold morning.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Nothing after its warmed up? You must have a leak some where.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I hate that damn message when it comes on! I know that my E60 and F10 will illuminate if I let it go all the way to the service time. I always change my oil mid point and I have never received this annoying light anymore. Well, that was until the last mid point change. Half way through mine came on but I know I have a slight leak, or what appears to be a slight leak around the oil filter area. Could be more, but you won't know unless you unbutton this beast. These cars are so covered up it's crazy. I think if you had a leak one might not really know it unless they were to remove the lower panels. If one quart in 7000 miles is all that I will lose, I guess I am ok with this. The inspection is on my huge list of things to do, just so I know if there is a leak that needs attention. But I do have to admit that light is scary when it does come on, but in the end it's just one qt.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by IceBimmer
I started getting "Engine oil at minimum level" message at around 70k miles. I have been dealing with this problem by adding one quart of oil at a time. It seems getting worse now. I get the oil low message after just 1,800 miles of oil change at 83k miles. No oil leak was found. What could be the cause of this ?
Are you saying that you needed to add 1 qt at 1,800 mi after an oil change? Was the proper amount added during the oil change? I always check the level after an oil change.

Even 1800 mi is within the BMW oil consumption spec., albeit on the high side.

There is a good side to oil consumption/loss - making up the oil replenishes the additives and permits longer change intervals!

Salut, Bob P.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Members

The technician said the engine vacuum reading is a little off and there is some smoke coming out from the pipe after idling a few minutes. So it could be both the crankcase breather valves and valve stem. I have them changed the breather valves ($166 parts and labor) only. It will cost about $4000 to replace the valve stem !
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Double check that your valve covers and CCV hoses are not leaking at all. If they are leaking, they can cause excessive oil to be sucked through the CCV into the intake manifold. You can pull one of the CCV hoses off the intake manifold to check for excessive oil. If you have the new style hoses you can determine which bank is leaking. Its a little harder to tell with the old style hoses because they connect together.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

I've been having a similar issue, and thought my 02 sensor had something to do with the white smoke. Obviously I now realize I have a much bigger issue I'm dealing with here. I'm about to hit 110k with no warranty and have no cash to make any repairs at the moment.

Now I'm worried!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by IceBimmer
The technician said the engine vacuum reading is a little off and there is some smoke coming out from the pipe after idling a few minutes. So it could be both the crankcase breather valves and valve stem. I have them changed the breather valves ($166 parts and labor) only. It will cost about $4000 to replace the valve stem !
Where are you located?

There is a BMW tech, I believe in the New Jersey area, that replaces them for $2500 on the weekends. Supposedly does a great job.

Quick Reply: Engine oil at minimum level