E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Oil Low

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input
Arrow

A week ago idrive prompted me to top up engine oil - it recommended a top up of 1 litre - which i did with castrol oil purchased from my dealer.

today it happened again - idrive said to add another litre as levels are, again, "at minimum"
Old 12-13-2005 | 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='210867' date='Dec 13 2005, 07:49 PM
A week ago idrive prompted me to top up engine oil - it recommended a top up of 1 litre - which i did with castrol oil purchased from my dealer.

today it happened again - idrive said to add another litre as levels are, again, "at minimum"
I'm not familiar with BMW Diesels, but I would certainly agree that this sounds troubling. Suggest you monitor and record consumption/miles in daily log. I needn't tell you how critical proper lubrication is to a Diesel engine.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 12-13-2005 | 04:59 PM
Members

i keep getting the low engine oil warning every day too!
i brought it in twice so far and they said it just needed a top off and that if it keeps happening to bring it in again as there may be a problem with the sensor.

i would be interested to know how many have been having this problem

that aside, i LOVE my car and think the handling and snow driving is amazing with the AWD
Old 12-13-2005 | 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='210881

I'm not familiar with BMW Diesels, but I would certainly agree that this sounds troubling. Suggest you monitor and record consumption/miles in daily log. I needn't tell you how critical proper lubrication is to a Diesel engine.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
[/quote]
Both his cars appear to be gasoline engines (i) and not diesels (d) unless Singapore is using different logic. I assume at least one is an engine with no dipstick if iDrive is the only means to determine oil level. Not sure of procedure in this case so others with same configuration need to step in. But at a minimum get dealer involved as too little or too much oil is not good.
Old 12-13-2005 | 09:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='210881

Good luck,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

It's not a diesel Ray, it's a petrol 520i - 2.2L engine
Old 12-13-2005 | 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I think I might have your answer. After taking my car in for service this morning, I used cobradav's SIB and stream's link to http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins...mp/B360205g.htm to find all the SIBs that were relevent to my cars problems as a starting point. I used this url: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B611403g.htm, which is for the latest CIP upgrade. This is what I found:
The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 16.1 (Target data Status E060-05-03-520).

1. On certain MY 2005 vehicles, equipped with the 4.4liter N62 engine, the engine oil CBS message comes on at a very low mileage. Refer to SM B12 213 05.

So, it might just be a case for needing a CIP upgrade at least to 16.1? I do notice it says for 4.4 liter engines but could it apply to your car's engine as well?
Old 12-14-2005 | 12:45 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by sweeet' post='210894' date='Dec 13 2005, 05:59 PM
i brought it in twice so far and they said it just needed a top off and that if it keeps happening to bring it in again as there may be a problem with the sensor.

me, me, me........

I get the warning everyday...

and when I go into the iDrive ....

it says OK next to the engine oil........da hell??
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:13 AM
Senior Members

i found out what's wrong.

popped the hood & had the engine running
oil was bleeding out of the oil filter housing

may be the infamous "O-ring" or a crack in the cap of the housing which looks plastic to me.

the only problem is my dealer doesnt have an open slot till next week on 22nd Dec
wonder if it's ok to keep driving & keep topping up the oil till then.
Old 12-26-2005 | 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

Originally Posted by sufu' post='211013

me, me, me........

I get the warning everyday...

and when I go into the iDrive ....

it says OK next to the engine oil........da hell??
[/quote]

So did you find out what is wrong? I just got "Engine oil at minimum level" warning but iDrive said I am still 12000 miles from next oil change. I only had 4500 miles totally on my car.
Old 12-26-2005 | 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Whatever it is....Diesel or Petrol, I would high tail it over to the dealer for a quick checkup. Hey its under the warranty, let the dealer fiqure it out.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Low