E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012 | 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i

just opened up the hood and noticed engine oil leakage. I had oil/filter change couple of months ago. Took the car to mechanic and he suggested to get the engine stream cleaned so that we can figure out the leak.
I read that its not safe to get it stream cleaned. Looking forward to your suggestions about what to do before I can take it to stealership.

Also, I never saw any oil leaks on the floor where I park. I guess its minor but I need to get it done.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012 | 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

What year and model is your car? Also, why don't you post a pic of where the oil is. I've seen threads here with pictures of oil leaks and some members being able to tell where it could be coming from.
Old 08-15-2012 | 05:12 PM
Members

Depending on the age and mileage, could be valve cover gaskets or timing cover or both. I had these replaced at 117k on a 2005 545. Started with noticeable stains on the engine compartment floor and got worse gradually over several months. Never any staining on the driveway though.

If that's the problem it will cost $$$ unless under warranty.
Old 08-15-2012 | 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
What year and model is your car? Also, why don't you post a pic of where the oil is. I've seen threads here with pictures of oil leaks and some members being able to tell where it could be coming from.
It's 2006 550i with 45k miles. I'll post some pictures later tonight!
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 6MT

I have used purple power for years and found it to be an effective and gentle degreaser. Spray it on a cool engine, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, spray off with water hose.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:58 AM
Members

Oil leakage has been the #1 problem in my car: 2004, 545i.

Ive chased it from the upper pan, to lower pan, & now there is another one.

None of this pertains to you directly, but Id suggest finding someone you trust to fix it quickly, as oil leakage over time (if near other seals, rubber components, etc) can diminish them as well.
Old 08-16-2012 | 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ben53
It's 2006 550i with 45k miles. I'll post some pictures later tonight!
45K miles seems a bit pre-mature to have oil leaks. Maybe the person who changed your oil spilled some? Did you notice if the leak already there when you bought the car?
Old 08-16-2012 | 11:39 AM
Contributors

45K miles seems a bit pre-mature to have oil leaks. Maybe the person who changed your oil spilled some? Did you notice if the leak already there when you bought the car?
I agree - it's a bit odd for a low mileage car to develop leaks. But they do happen. Since it seems coincidental to a recent oil service I wonder if the required "O" rings were properly installed. I remember my first DIY BMW oil change back in the '80's ... stupidly doubled up on the filter housing O ring (the big one) - didn't know to remove the old one first ... what an oily mess that was .... Only made that mistake ONCE

Bet you''re hoping it's something simple like that. As was previously posted you can use a good degreaser cleaner like purple or green stuff on a cold engine to clean things up a bit. If you are hosing anywhere near the electronics cover them completely with plastic wrap so they don't get wet from overspray. Another technique I've used to track leaks - after the engine is dry "dust" it with some talcum powder. Leaks will show up by leaving a trail in the white powder. And as a side benefit your engine compartment will smell like a baby's bottom

Good luck getting it sorted out.
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:47 PM
Members

Attached are some pic if you can help spotting the culprit leak and any suggestions where it could be coming from.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil leak-securedownload-1-.jpg   Engine Oil leak-securedownload-2-.jpg   Engine Oil leak-securedownload-3-.jpg   Engine Oil leak-securedownload.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:52 PM
Members

Agreed. I can't remember if I noticed it when I bought it but my mechanic has told me about this about three months ago but I forgot/ignored it.
Now since I just got my engine oil and filter changed, I want to clean up the engine so that we can spot a leak.
I attached some pics above if you can suggest something.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine Oil leak