E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='May 16 2005, 11:57 AM
The ONLY, and I mean ONLY Castrol to use in the e60 in the U.S. is the European made Castrol Syntec 0W-30.? It will say "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle.? It's really a tremendous oil according to analysis done on web sites such as "bobistheoilguy.com".
[snapback]129179[/snapback]
BMW's oil is made by Castrol and has special additives FOR BMW engines. BMW also DOES NOT call for 0w30 in any of its vehicles.
[snapback]129232[/snapback]

BMWs latest spec is LL04 for most engines ( not for //M engines)

The first LL04 spec oil is Castrol SLX LL04 0w-30
Castrol TXT LL04 5w-30 is also comming out
Old 05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

In the US, as far as I am aware, the specification is for 5w30. The oil cap says Castrol and they refer to the full synthetic (not a blend)

It is my understanding that reading the manual and the specs, Mobil 1 is also ok and actually has better performance specs. I am using AMSOIL which rates even higher than the two.

Not sure if the oil ratings are different between the US, Europe and other countries.

There is actually a link to a very in depth oil analysis that looks at all of the oil properties. What is interesting is that the larger the gap 5w30 versus 0w30 has other negative effects on the oil - the additives that are added to give the viscosity range.

I will try and find the link and upload next week when I return from my trip.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='May 16 2005, 11:57 AM
The ONLY, and I mean ONLY Castrol to use in the e60 in the U.S. is the European made Castrol Syntec 0W-30. It will say "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle. It's really a tremendous oil according to analysis done on web sites such as "bobistheoilguy.com".
[snapback]129179[/snapback]
BMW's oil is made by Castrol and has special additives FOR BMW engines. BMW also DOES NOT call for 0w30 in any of its vehicles.
[snapback]129232[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you call BMW NA, you will find that one of the recommended oils is Castrol Syntec 0W-30. You will also note that the JUNK Castrol 5w-30 sold and refined in this country does not say anything about meeting BMW and European ACEA 3 requirements, while Castrol German 0w-30 does. ALSO. the Castrol-made BMW Synthetic is not the same formulation as found in off the shelf Castrol Syntec 5W-30
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

One of my complaints about Castrol is that it is not easy to differentiate between the German-made, true synthetic oil that is endorsed by BMW and the crap partial-synthetic junk oil that is sold in the States under the "Syntec" moniker.

While I am under warranty I plan to have all oil service performed by BMW dealerships, using the BMW-labeled full-synthetic product. After warranty period I plan to switch to Amsoil, since independent testing appears to confirm that Amsoil is the superior synthetic product currently available. Biggest problem with Amsoil is its multi-level-marketing sales approach; it's like Amway and Nutrilife in that regard, and I hate that stuff.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='May 17 2005, 12:20 PM
One of my complaints about Castrol is that it is not easy to differentiate between the German-made, true synthetic oil that is endorsed by BMW and the crap partial-synthetic junk oil that is sold in the States under the "Syntec" moniker.

While I am under warranty I plan to have all oil service performed by BMW dealerships, using the BMW-labeled full-synthetic product.? After warranty period I plan to switch to Amsoil, since independent testing appears to confirm that Amsoil is the superior synthetic product currently available.? Biggest problem with Amsoil is its multi-level-marketing sales approach; it's like Amway and Nutrilife in that regard, and I hate that stuff.
[snapback]129695[/snapback]
It's easy to differentiate the German Castrol from the domestic. Just look on the reverse label, it will say MADE IN GERMANY. Available at Auto Zone in the U.S. There is also some old batch Syntec 0W-30 that is made in the U.S(not the same stuff regardless of what Castrol tells you). Castrol plays such a shell game! I wouldn't even use U.S Syntec 5W-30 in my lawn mower.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by niktee' date='May 17 2005, 02:56 PM
[quote name='MaxBuck' date='May 17 2005, 12:20 PM']One of my complaints about Castrol is that it is not easy to differentiate between the German-made, true synthetic oil that is endorsed by BMW and the crap partial-synthetic junk oil that is sold in the States under the "Syntec" moniker.

While I am under warranty I plan to have all oil service performed by BMW dealerships, using the BMW-labeled full-synthetic product.? After warranty period I plan to switch to Amsoil, since independent testing appears to confirm that Amsoil is the superior synthetic product currently available.? Biggest problem with Amsoil is its multi-level-marketing sales approach; it's like Amway and Nutrilife in that regard, and I hate that stuff.
[snapback]129695[/snapback]
It's easy to differentiate the German Castrol from the domestic. Just look on the reverse label, it will say MADE IN GERMANY. Available at Auto Zone in the U.S. There is also some old batch Syntec 0W-30 that is made in the U.S(not the same stuff regardless of what Castrol tells you). Castrol plays such a shell game! I wouldn't even use U.S Syntec 5W-30 in my lawn mower.
[snapback]129733[/snapback]

[/quote]
Niktee, thanks for the heads-up on identifying the "correct" Castrol. I guess my problem is that Castrol uses the same "Syntec" moniker for true synthetic oil (the German product is by all accounts excellent stuff) and the bogus "synthetic blend" crap they sell to unsuspecting rubes here in the US. The shell game you refer to is exactly what I object to.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

If you call BMW NA, you will find that one of the recommended oils is Castrol Syntec 0W-30. You will also note that the JUNK Castrol 5w-30 sold and refined in this country does not say anything about meeting BMW and European ACEA 3 requirements, while Castrol German 0w-30 does. ALSO. the Castrol-made BMW Synthetic is not the same formulation as found in off the shelf Castrol Syntec 5W-30
[snapback]129613[/snapback]

Did i NOT say the oil that BMW sells AND uses in the US is made by castrol FOR bmw. It has different additives than the Castrol you can by on the shelf in stores. If BMW called for a 0w30 in ANY of its US cars, we would be required to carry it in the store. BMW uses 5w30 full synthetic, 15w40 conventional in older cars, and 10w60 full synthetic in some of the M cars.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Contributors

I understand that the BMW High Performance Synthetic used at BMW dealers is specifically for our cars; my point was, that if you want to change your oil before the 15,000 mi OCI recommended by BMW, and you can't take the time to travel to and wait for a dealer oil change, you do not want to use the Castrol 5W-30 hydro-cracked oil sold in stores. The German made Syntec 0W-30 is a superb PAO based synthetic oil that is the best non-BMW HIgh Performance Synthetic you can possibly use for your car. Better, in my opinion than even BMW High Performance Full Synthetic used at dealers. If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that it may, in fact, be used as factory fill at Dingolfing, but because of energy conservation and other factors, they specify the 5W-30 here in the states. Hope that helps explain where I'm comin' from.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Members

what about ELF OIL.I read on back that is BMW LONGLIFE?????
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I phoned my dealer yesterday in France and he said all synthetic oil with a 5-40 grade. He confirmed that BMW is recommending Castrol

Quick Reply: engine oil