E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mount DIY for 535xi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:09 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

Originally Posted by zoom750

How long did it take to lower the subframe? Did you leave the steering rack on, or did you remove before lowering it? Any tricky problems to be aware of, like a line or hose that needs to be disconnected that is not obvious, etc.?

My main interest is in the steering rack, because I think it is leaking (at the u-joint) and so needs to be replaced. Thinking about tackling this job in my garage, and so am trying to get as much information as possible. Even if I farm this out to an Indy, would be helpful to know the steps involved. Would also replace other things while there is access, such as oil pan gasket and water pump/thermostat.
I had all the same questions earlier this month. Do it with a fresh mind, it requires observation. Every model seems to have its own quirks. I tried to plan it and schedule but really you just have to adapt with the complications put in front of you. Lower it slowly, run around the frame and check, solve, and then repeat.

with proper research and a plan of action, you can take a day to unfasten everything, and day 2 get the subframe off. It may take people less time, but plan for this at minimum. It was my first time dropping a subframe ever.

A tip I wish I had: the lines for the PS pump and steering rack- on the drivers side is a mess, go to REALOEM.com and see what you would work with. I disconnected my steering rack at the U joint, but left the steering rack and pump up on jack stands to keep that system as untampered as possible. Consider all of the maintenace you can do with the subframe down. If you don't want to do any of that, and just tackle your steering issue, you wont have to lower the subframe all the way down to get access.

Note: a bolt and nut is what is holding the steering rack to subframe, counter hold it to get it off. There are certainly pipes you have to be aware of and release. Some of them are too difficult to unfasten, until you give the subframe a drop of about 3-5 inches.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:09 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i xdrive

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
i was able to go to a shop that put my car up on the lift and let me look around. my mounts looked ok, but, my oil pan gasket is leaking rather badly. so this job just went from mild pain in the butt, to 100% painful all over.

anyone have a good DIY for an oil pan on a XI? i keep finding the same thing, just "similar" DIY's.
If you replace the pan, might as well replace the mounts at the same time
Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

Originally Posted by tstiglich
If you replace the pan, might as well replace the mounts at the same time
​​​​​​I think I will be forced back down there for the tubos next.
Note there are two little dimples in the rubber mount, I thought they were formed by wear and tear. However, this isn't the case, they ship like this.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2x E61, 1x E60, 1x E90
Model Year: 07,07,10
Engine: N52, N54

Just to add some experience from motor mounts removal on a 535i. Took me a few hours to figure out that the subframe needs to come down a bit. Before I figured that out, I took out the dynamic drive lines shield(#18) and water pump. Got some coolant/CHF11 in the face. The passenger side is much harder than the drivers.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54
Default BMW E60 xi Engine Mount Replacement

Originally Posted by JayArras
PM sent.
Hi Jay, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.
Would you be willing to share the name of the Indy where you got your engine mounts replaced?
I am also in CT and would like something local.

Cheers
Sharath
Old 08-03-2023, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by SHARKBEAM5
Hi Jay, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.
Would you be willing to share the name of the Indy where you got your engine mounts replaced?
I am also in CT and would like something local.

Cheers
Sharath
PM sent.