E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mount DIY for 535xi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Pegasusxi
If you are unsure about your diagnosis you can always run to an indy and get a diagnosis for 60-100 bucks. This will ensure that if you decide to tackle this (not easy) job, you will indeed solve your chief complaint.

Good luck
i was able to go to a shop that put my car up on the lift and let me look around. my mounts looked ok, but, my oil pan gasket is leaking rather badly. so this job just went from mild pain in the butt, to 100% painful all over.

anyone have a good DIY for an oil pan on a XI? i keep finding the same thing, just "similar" DIY's.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi hud night vision
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
how many miles are/were on your car when you did this?
i replaced cams in my E46, and while i was there, rebuilt the VANOS, so doing this on the N54 shouldn't be an issue for me.
My car has 93k miles. I have replaced most wear items since I got it. Injectors, Vanos, plugs and coils. Still really needs a valve clean. It is super easy. Easy to pull out didn’t even remove the cover. getting the thread into the top Vanos was a pain as you can’t really see it. Took me all of 20 minutes though.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 535xrayindigo

My car has 93k miles. I have replaced most wear items since I got it. Injectors, Vanos, plugs and coils. Still really needs a valve clean. It is super easy. Easy to pull out didn’t even remove the cover. getting the thread into the top Vanos was a pain as you can’t really see it. Took me all of 20 minutes though.
when you say VANOS, are you only referring to the 2 solenoids on the front of the head? or any seals inside the VANOS unit?
i know they changed the design from the E46 era to the E9X era for the VANOS. now it looks like the only thing to service is the 2 solenoids.

just got a quote of $1300 to do the oil pan gasket. looks like i will be having a long weekend in may garage in the near future saving over $1000.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:37 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi hud night vision
Model Year: 08

when you say VANOS, are you only referring to the 2 solenoids on the front of the head? or any seals inside the VANOS unit?
i know they changed the design from the E46 era to the E9X era for the VANOS. now it looks like the only thing to service is the 2 solenoids.

just got a quote of $1300 to do the oil pan gasket. looks like i will be having a long weekend in may garage in the near future saving over $1000.
I am not sure about the old ones. The new versions are an all in one piece, simple remove and replace item. There is only one o ring seal on the base, make sure you you remove the old seal from the block before installing the new one if it didn’t come out with the Vanos solenoid.

Last edited by 535xrayindigo; 12-12-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

Hey, I am on the same boat as you. Wish you luck, let me know if you want to get in touch to bounce ideas off of while in the garage. I always find it helpful to have a second mind, especially when I can't find a solid DIY.

Check out my thread
Old 12-13-2018, 05:13 AM
New Members

i think it will be rather straight forward. keep taking stuff off until you can get the oil pan out.
i have a nice long 4 day weekend for new years. so this might be what i do then, since i won't need to leave the house for 4 days.
the thing that gets me is all the other bits i will have great acess to while i'm doing this. so my parts list goes from a gasket and oil change, to motor mounts, water pump, t-stat, hoses, and so on. well there goes that $1000. but its to a good cause. i kinda just want to convert it to rear wheel drive while i'm there.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM
New Members

I am novice, learning as I go. As far as straight-forward goes, I have disconnected everything that I can see plus the engine mounts. I plan on "flossing the subframe to double-check.

I am just a little afraid BMW has something in store for me that I am not yet aware about.

I might try to get away with disconnecting the axle at the differential, but leaving it attached the wheel hub. Do you think this is possible? assuming I detach the strut bar bracket bolt.

SAME! I actually am dropping the subframe for the turbo coolant line leak. found some oil under there so i figured to tackle it. Funny part is after tracking e90's its all fun and games until the awd makes it almost not worth it.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM
New Members

i simply don't need AWD. i live in Florida, there isn't any snow, and i know how to drive. plus i won't be putting 1,000+ hp through it. for me AWD just adds more things to go wrong. and this is a perfect example.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM
New Members

I am the opposite. I havnt needed awd all year, but now I am going to need it more than ever. Hope the service is a success.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi

and i know how to drive.
What exactly does this have to do with your car having AWD? I also know how to drive, and AWD is an excellent feature where I drive, as are dedicated winter tires on said vehicle for the fun season. Of course, AWD makes little or no sense where you drive, and the added complexity is a waste for your needs.

Quick Reply: Engine Mount DIY for 535xi?