E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='563517' date='Apr 18 2008, 03:12 PM
Sent PM as to not diturb any off-topic nazis. BTW, my screen name on m5board is Glock 32 (which is the medium sized model, luv it).
refering to somone as a Nazi (off topic or otherwsie) for discouraging "chat" about hand guns on a car forum.....poor taste IMO!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package

Originally Posted by owwo' post='561275' date='Apr 14 2008, 01:14 PM
If you match up the numbers when you install, you'll have no problem. It makes my '08 535i feel like it's launching off...similar torquey feeling that I get when I take off on my Busa. I know it doesn't add any HP or Torque, but I swear it feels like it does.
I installed it yesterday without any error messages and it works great! Launches when you step on it. Trying to get that big connector under the carpet was tough though.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='564168' date='Apr 19 2008, 07:02 AM
refering to somone as a Nazi (off topic or otherwsie) for discouraging "chat" about hand guns on a car forum.....poor taste IMO!
Sorry Maty, It wasn't meant to be taken serious or literal. Poor attempt at humor and you are 100% right; poor taste... I didn't mean to offend you. I would say off-topic police might have been a better way of saying what I meant. I just thought you were quick to jump on a post that was on topic with one small off-topic question so the discussion never really went off-topic and you were right there to stop it, but that is cool. If I would have responded to the poster then I would have expected the police to jump in and keep the thread from going off-topic.

Anyway, I hope you can accept my sincere apology. (off-topic, but I wanted to publicly apologize for my sarcasm)

Back on topic...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='566333' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry Maty, It wasn't meant to be taken serious or literal. Poor attempt at humor and you are 100% right; poor taste... I didn't mean to offend you. I would say off-topic police might have been a better way of saying what I meant. I just thought you were quick to jump on a post that was on topic with one small off-topic question so the discussion never really went off-topic and you were right there to stop it, but that is cool. If I would have responded to the poster then I would have expected the police to jump in and keep the thread from going off-topic.

Anyway, I hope you can accept my sincere apology. (off-topic, but I wanted to publicly apologize for my sarcasm)

Back on topic...
I appreciate you taking the time to explain your intent, definately no hard feelings at this end.

On topic......I am loving the SB big time!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Mtech front bumper, M172 rims, 2007 Audi Q7 4.2L

i just received my SB from a fellow member.

when plugged in correctly i get the reduced power error and no throttle response.
i installed it 3 times and the same problem every time.

so i tried to flip the male part of the SB 180 degrees and tuned the car on.
this is where i get the rough idle problem. "erratic revs"

no bent pins.

the user i bought it from never had a problem with it.

any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by good anti' post='566719' date='Apr 23 2008, 03:03 PM
i just received my SB from a fellow member.

when plugged in correctly i get the reduced power error and no throttle response.
i installed it 3 times and the same problem every time.

so i tried to flip the male part of the SB 180 degrees and tuned the car on.
this is where i get the rough idle problem. "erratic revs"

no bent pins.

the user i bought it from never had a problem with it.

any suggestions?
Since you swapped between cars (this is when I noticed the error lights until restart). I think the way you had it plugged in first was correct. When you did it this way and got the lights did you turn off your car and re-start before unpluggin it. If you get the lights ONLY (no erratic idle) and it is plugged in corectly you should just need to turn off the car and then wait 30 seconds and then start it again. If you get erratic idle, etc. then it is probably plugged in wrong. Only lights then a restart should clear it. This is just a guess based on my experience and what others have reported. I would try pluggin it back in correctly (the way you had it at first), start the car and if you get the lights (don't panic) just turn off the car for a few seconds and then restart it.

Let us know if this works. I think the lights might be a reult of transferring it between cars the first time you do start it. A restart should clear it up and you should never see the lights again... Again just a guess at what I think might be going on...
Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Members

thanks a lot for the advice.

i'm going to try this.

i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Members

still no good.

i tried a bunch of stuff with the ignition in the first position and the key out for a few min both.

hmm.... .....
Old 04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by good anti' post='566788' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:51 PM
still no good.

i tried a bunch of stuff with the ignition in the first position and the key out for a few min both.

hmm.... .....

Sorry I am baffled. I hate to think that the unit is a defective one. There were a few others in this thread having issues that ended up returning there's (I think for a refund), but it looked like they might have had it plugged in wrong.

Is it the BD401 or BD401A not that this should make a difference... BD401A is for automatic..., but either should work just that the manaul one is more sensative or something...

Maybe double check the pins again since you plugged it in 180 degrees wrong at one point...

You sure you have it plugged in correctly on both ends? check the pin numbering, etc. the one for the floor does nott have any numbers but it should be obvious how it plugs in based on the shape of the plug...

Wish I could be of more help...
Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Members

it is a BdD401A as i have an auto.

yeah pins are good.

i did see that the ppl that had this problem did return them also.

well i cant think of anything either.

thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message