E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine and electronics shut down while rolling to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine and electronics shut down while rolling to a stop.

Wife reported twice in a day while rolling to complete at stop at a intersection the vehicle engine and electronics completly shut off.

She was able to restart the car twice without any issue. During these two instances, the AC was ON.

Vehicle is currently at the dealership pending their evaluation.

Has anyone ran into this type of situation?

This is a 08 528.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

many different reasons could cause this. CPS, BST and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. you can probably rule out the BST since it was fixed by restarting but I would definitely go with the CPS/Solenoid causing the issue. It's a very widely known issue since 1999. Imagine if she was crossing a busy street and thought she had enough time to get to the other side but the car just shut down. It was always my fear when letting someone drive my old E46 coupe. After dealer couldn't diagnose it or "recreate" the issue (classic dealer response) I traded it to a friend. Now that I know more about BMW and the engineering involved, I know what the problem was. Amazing that the dealer couldn't find it three times it was there.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by dasyhrd
Wife reported twice in a day while rolling to complete at stop at a intersection the vehicle engine and electronics completly shut off.

She was able to restart the car twice without any issue. During these two instances, the AC was ON.

Vehicle is currently at the dealership pending their evaluation.

Has anyone ran into this type of situation?

This is a 08 528.
Hello

i'm from belgium and had the same problem with my car.
It turned out to be an elektric relais of the DDE(computer of the car)
It cost here around 10dollars to fix it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Failed/failing CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) does not shut off electronics. Bad CPS can prevent the engine from starting - starter will continue to crank,
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Members

Dealer wasnt able to reproduce the issue.

Performed vehicle test and checked fault memory. Found DME fault code 29E0 and 29E1 for mixture control for bank 1 and 2. Faults only happen 1 time and not currently present. Checked the additive mixture and multiplicative mixture adaption and found mixture too lean. Smoke test the intake system for leak per test plan. Found no leak. Plug in a know good mass air flow sensor and test drove vehicle. Rechecked the additive mixture and multiplicative mixture adaptation and found still did not change much reading. Re installed the old mass air flow sensor. Removed the engine acoustic cover to access the fuel test port. Checked fuel pressure and found at 5.2 Bars. Test drove vehicle multiple times while fuel pressure gauge connected to monitor fuel pressure but fuel pressure ok and vehicle did not stall.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
many different reasons could cause this. CPS, BST and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. you can probably rule out the BST since it was fixed by restarting but I would definitely go with the CPS/Solenoid causing the issue. It's a very widely known issue since 1999. Imagine if she was crossing a busy street and thought she had enough time to get to the other side but the car just shut down. It was always my fear when letting someone drive my old E46 coupe. After dealer couldn't diagnose it or "recreate" the issue (classic dealer response) I traded it to a friend. Now that I know more about BMW and the engineering involved, I know what the problem was. Amazing that the dealer couldn't find it three times it was there.

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming the BST you are referring to is the recall that was mentioned recently? The vehicle was brought in for this recall prior to this shutdown issue. I also brought this vehicle in for another issue related to the transmission not shifting out of 1st at parking lot speed and not being able to start. Dealer found an issue with the CPS sensor. Sensor was replaced and everything was fine up to this point except this shutdown issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwboy115
Hello

i'm from belgium and had the same problem with my car.
It turned out to be an elektric relais of the DDE(computer of the car)
It cost here around 10dollars to fix it.

Thanks for the info. Will need to find a way to give this info to the dealer and have them do something about it next time we can get the car to the shop.