E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine died 2 times in 2 weeks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

that sounds pretty weird. this thread caught my attention with the whole charcoal filter removal and the k&n. like others, i have taken out that charcoal filter because i had it and i also have a k&n filter. no problems whatsoever. and yes i do tend to engage in some spirited driving once in a while. would like to see if others have suffered because of these filters.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='398979' date='Mar 6 2007, 12:41 PM
that sounds pretty weird. this thread caught my attention with the whole charcoal filter removal and the k&n. like others, i have taken out that charcoal filter because i had it and i also have a k&n filter. no problems whatsoever. and yes i do tend to engage in some spirited driving once in a while. would like to see if others have suffered because of these filters.
I think they need to push the car hard for over 1hr of driving.
but when I`m not pushing it then itis OK runs fine
Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Members

Have a 2004 530 with manual transmission. Engine shut off while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Has only happened once. Everything stock. I believe it was a computer glitch.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, here are problems and solutions:
Look at this
Engine died 2 times in 2 weeks!!!-3be2_1_b.jpg

I bought the similar design and installed it in air intake right after filter and before MAF. Due to air vacuum and strong movement of air from air filter to intake manifold, this device create tornado-like air flow flowing into combustion chammer.
At first, MAF needs to adjust fuel to mix with this air flow pattern which is not constant as before. This will cause idling fluctuates a bit, but improve acceleration noticably. However, idle is quite high like 700-900 rpm.

I found out that didn't like this device and I took it out. Car stalled like crazy whenever I came to stop, so I had to have left foot on brake and right foot on gas pedal, but it still stalled. Idle is fluctuating like crazy and it makes car stall.

I figured out that the MAF had been used to tornado-like air movement pattern, and computer adjusted accordingly to that. After taking it out, air flow is not tornado-like anymore, but constant mass of air moving through air take passing MAF and go to intake manifold. However, fuel injector pulse still acting like before and A/F mixture is not right. Some instant is lean, and other moment is rich. This causes engine stalled. To solve the problem, I need to drive my car for at least 10 to 15 minutes with various speed, and accel/decel from time to time to make sure that OBDII computer readjust the A/F signal.

After that, the issue is gone.

My advice: vary your speed after taking out or putting back charcoal filter. Decel and accel often.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

I agree with MY530

THe only other common problem causer would be if oil or moisture is coming in contact with the Air Flow Meter's hot wire. Oiled filters are not recommended for use on BMW's for this very reason. The charcoal filter probably would catch the oil before it got that far.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by my530i' post='399248' date='Mar 6 2007, 12:32 PM
Look at this
Attachment 29285

I bought the similar design and installed it in air intake right after filter and before MAF. Due to air vacuum and strong movement of air from air filter to intake manifold, this device create tornado-like air flow flowing into combustion chammer.
At first, MAF needs to adjust fuel to mix with this air flow pattern which is not constant as before. This will cause idling fluctuates a bit, but improve acceleration noticably. However, idle is quite high like 700-900 rpm.

I found out that didn't like this device and I took it out. Car stalled like crazy whenever I came to stop, so I had to have left foot on brake and right foot on gas pedal, but it still stalled. Idle is fluctuating like crazy and it makes car stall.

I figured out that the MAF had been used to tornado-like air movement pattern, and computer adjusted accordingly to that. After taking it out, air flow is not tornado-like anymore, but constant mass of air moving through air take passing MAF and go to intake manifold. However, fuel injector pulse still acting like before and A/F mixture is not right. Some instant is lean, and other moment is rich. This causes engine stalled. To solve the problem, I need to drive my car for at least 10 to 15 minutes with various speed, and accel/decel from time to time to make sure that OBDII computer readjust the A/F signal.

My advice: vary your speed after taking out or putting back charcoal filter. Decel and accel often.

Hope it helps.
Thanks my530i and other members for always providing valuable insights.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='399248' date='Mar 7 2007, 04:32 AM
Look at this
Attachment 29285

Hope it helps.
I have this tornado after the MAF and it has happen to me twice so sould I take it out?
I dont have the charcoal filter.
I do have the K&N
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend taking it out, and driving around in D or DS (not in Manual Mode or it'll stall) and vary your thottle
Today, I put back my charcoal filter and it comes to surprise that Dinan exhaust noise under load is reduced quite significant, and torque is stronger when start in M1 at stop light
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='399473' date='Mar 7 2007, 03:29 PM
I'd recommend taking it out, and driving around in D or DS (not in Manual Mode or it'll stall) and vary your thottle
Today, I put back my charcoal filter and it comes to surprise that Dinan exhaust noise under load is reduced quite significant, and torque is stronger when start in M1 at stop light
right I will try this today thanks