E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine died 2 times in 2 weeks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Don't know if the recent removal of the charcoal filter has anything to do with it, but my car died 2 times since while in slow traffic. Once in D mode and this morning in DS mode. It would shut off and the service engine light pops up. It was very scary this morning when it died out while I was making a slow right turn. I had to stomp on the brake and re-started the vehicle and everything was ok again. I'm going to bring it to the dealer first thing monday morning. Do you guys have any ideas why this is happening??? Very Alarming....
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the charcoal filter back, and drive for one day. There might be case that you did not place orange filter properly. If not, there might some some vortex air stream which causes MAF confused. That's just my guess. I'm no expert.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by my530i' post='398074' date='Mar 3 2007, 10:59 AM
Put the charcoal filter back, and drive for one day. There might be case that you did not place orange filter properly. If not, there might some some vortex air stream which causes MAF confused. That's just my guess. I'm no expert.
I also had the K&N Air Filter installed when I first purchased the car. But everything was fine until now. I'll take your advice and hopefully, it won't happen again. BTW, should I re-install the orange filter if I do bring it to dealer? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by terracotta' post='398069' date='Mar 3 2007, 10:54 AM
Don't know if the recent removal of the charcoal filter has anything to do with it, but my car died 2 times since while in slow traffic. Once in D mode and this morning in DS mode. It would shut off and the service engine light pops up. It was very scary this morning when it died out while I was making a slow right turn. I had to stomp on the brake and re-started the vehicle and everything was ok again. I'm going to bring it to the dealer first thing monday morning. Do you guys have any ideas why this is happening??? Very Alarming....
What is DS Mode?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='398392' date='Mar 4 2007, 01:18 PM
What is DS Mode?
When you push the Steptronic over to the left. DS mode holds the revs in each gear longer.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributors

The same exact thing happened to me when I first replaced the filter with a K&A filter and removed the charcoal filter. I just left everything alone, and the stalling went away. When the stall happens, put the car into neutral to restart it so you do not cause an accident behind you.

Perhaps the computer needs to readjust. I have not had any stalling since the original stalls occurred within a month of replacing the filter.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

i havent installed my k&n filter yet...does this mean i shouldn't? incase of stalls?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='398405' date='Mar 4 2007, 01:01 PM
The same exact thing happened to me when I first replaced the filter with a K&A filter and removed the charcoal filter. I just left everything alone, and the stalling went away. When the stall happens, put the car into neutral to restart it so you do not cause an accident behind you.

Perhaps the computer needs to readjust. I have not had any stalling since the original stalls occurred within a month of replacing the filter.
Ok, maybe 07's don't like their charcoal filter removed??? I re-installed it yesterday and most likely won't remove it again. I was eventually going to pop it back in because the noise was too loud for my taste. The engine stall just accelerated the process...
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

What are you guys messing with and what filter?

The E60 has more computers and sensors inside than ET or Spiderman ever had.

To my knowledge any part changed or replaced needs reprogramming of the Progman.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='398422' date='Mar 5 2007, 06:16 AM
What are you guys messing with and what filter?

The E60 has more computers and sensors inside than ET or Spiderman ever had.
To my knowledge any part changed or replaced needs reprogramming of the Progman.
My did not stall but the computer came on saying loss power in engine and need to turn off the engine and restated it and it was OK, I think itis the K&N cos I put the oem filter back in and it was OK.
like you say maybe itneeds a reprogamming done on it.
I was pushing it quit hard in the DS +- mode.

Quick Reply: Engine died 2 times in 2 weeks!!!