E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

engine death rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Originally Posted by ADD' post='785715' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:56 AM
Granted, not the same cars, but here's another thread...

Corvette rattles

They mention throwout bearings, and the lack of a flywheel dampener.

Possibility of the throwout bearing. Not a big job. Do you notice any other strange sounds or problems while shifting or engaging the clutch? Has it become more difficult to get into gear?

HTH
thanks for the link man.. dealer is reaplacing flywheel and clutch.. hoopefully they wont come up , saying that is something else..
Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Black exterior with balck interior. Sport package. K&N air filter.

I got the same problem, but never thought about it. I got my car used from carmax about a year ago, and it was doing this noise since then. Sometime I have a hard time shifting to the reverse gear. I wonder if my car needs some transmission oil or brand new flywheel. If so, I might have to save some money to get the DINAN lightweight dual-mass flywheel. Price...$2299...

Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='786702' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:59 AM
thanks for the link man.. dealer is reaplacing flywheel and clutch.. hoopefully they wont come up , saying that is something else..
Solrac, what happened with this? Did the noise go away after they replaced the flywheel and clutch?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

I have the same thing with my 2005 530d with 46k miles on

Thought it might just be a diesel thing lol
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='785348' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:36 PM
Hello guys,
my car is at the Stealer since last week, because of some noise, as ive been searching, they are a couple of people saying that this noise is probably normal in all the BMW manual transmissions, the guys saying that on bimmerfest. had 3 series. here are 2 links on oft them is my e60 and the other is from a 335.

can someone that has manual transmission listen to this and just please confirm that this is a normal noise
it will be much appreciated
thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWz78kztszY 335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO232KcmIY e60
I have a manual trans 525d and have never had this rattle
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I have a 2007 manual with 14K miles. Never had this rattle...started my car, let it rev, and turned it off...no rattle. I normally turn the car off w/ clutch in, car in gear.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 520i

having owned by car for just over a month, this noise has started, I've found if i press the clutch in fully when turning off my car then this doesnt happen, however if the car is not in gear and i turn off the engine (without touching the clutch) then this noise happen's every now and then , Off to the dealers in the morning to see if covered on the warrenty, have high suspicions that it is something todo with the clutch release bearing and it sticking when its hot(But hey what do i know)

Hopefully get some answers in the moring and hopefully the car booked in and problem solved
Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

post your results here.. would be intersted to know my self.. been under warrenty as well lol
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by eddyboy' post='806531' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:53 PM
I've found if i press the clutch in fully when turning off my car then this doesnt happen, however if the car is not in gear and i turn off the engine (without touching the clutch) then this noise happen's every now and then
I think this "rattle" when turning off the car is related to the "rattle" that I have reported on here several times.

Mine is a '08 535i 6-speed. When the car is at idle, and I have the clutch OUT (not pressed in), I hear what I have described as "gear rattle" coming from under the gear shifter area (transmission). If I "jiggle" the gear shifter a bit, the rattle is affected...it can quiet down a bit, or almost go away. If I press the the clutch IN, the rattle goes away completely. So the clutch IN...no rattle, clutch OUT...rattle. This not a huge loud rattle...it sounds like gears, or something.

My car has been to the dealer (2) times since new...for service items...and both times, I have asked them to look at this issue. The first time they said something like: "it's normal...the pressure plates (or something) don't have pressure on them when the clutch is OUT and therefore they rattle against each other...besides sitting at idle with the clutch OUT is not normal, so this shouldn't be an issue for you". The second time they said something like: "we found your tramission a little low, added fluid, compared it to another car, and the noise is the same as the other car."

I still have the rattle and it is the exact same as it has been since the car was new. I personally believe that it is not a problem, and that it is what the dealer described the first time. I have asked on this forum many times if anybody else has had this problem, but got no response....bottom line for me.....I'm not gonna worry about it.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i Black/Black Sport, Prem, 6M, Sirius

Originally Posted by Allen' post='807212' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:40 AM
I think this "rattle" when turning off the car is related to the "rattle" that I have reported on here several times.

Mine is a '08 535i 6-speed. When the car is at idle, and I have the clutch OUT (not pressed in), I hear what I have described as "gear rattle" coming from under the gear shifter area (transmission). If I "jiggle" the gear shifter a bit, the rattle is affected...it can quiet down a bit, or almost go away. If I press the the clutch IN, the rattle goes away completely. So the clutch IN...no rattle, clutch OUT...rattle. This not a huge loud rattle...it sounds like gears, or something.

My car has been to the dealer (2) times since new...for service items...and both times, I have asked them to look at this issue. The first time they said something like: "it's normal...the pressure plates (or something) don't have pressure on them when the clutch is OUT and therefore they rattle against each other...besides sitting at idle with the clutch OUT is not normal, so this shouldn't be an issue for you". The second time they said something like: "we found your tramission a little low, added fluid, compared it to another car, and the noise is the same as the other car."

I still have the rattle and it is the exact same as it has been since the car was new. I personally believe that it is not a problem, and that it is what the dealer described the first time. I have asked on this forum many times if anybody else has had this problem, but got no response....bottom line for me.....I'm not gonna worry about it.
I have the same thing in my 07 525i 6 speed, definitely nothing to worry about...though it does make my car vibrate a little more than it should at idle....

Quick Reply: engine death rattle