E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine coolant service , plz help..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Every one !
I have 2006 525 xi with 81 k miles, for a preventive maintenance reason can any one advice me regarding engine coolant flush, my dealer told me its a life time coolant and there is no need to flush if there is no issues however I called several other dealers and they told I should replace it every 2 years, I called BMW north America and the rep told me that he doesn't see any where to flush the coolant on 2006 e60's. So I don't know who to believe . Please advice if I should pay $140 for flushing, car has no issues.

Thanks...
Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

If it aint broke DON'T fix it!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Flush it.

Radiator coolant should be replaced around 60-75K if you want to keep your car last longer.
Oh while flushing, do water pump and thermostat too as preventative maintenance.
You'll be sorry if these two break in the future.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salaki
Flush it.

Radiator coolant should be replaced around 60-75K if you want to keep your car last longer.
Oh while flushing, do water pump and thermostat too as preventative maintenance.
You'll be sorry if these two break in the future.
more poor advice. In the n52 with electric water pump, you do NOT want to change that until it is broken. They do not have typical "wear" pieces such as spun bearings or tension strain from the belt--since it is not belt driven and the same bearings dont exist. That was the only reason to prohlitically change a pump before. With the electric pump there is not telling one that will go for 20k or one that will go for 120k miles. Many are changed only to break again. If you have one that is working strong at 75k I would not think of touching it.

The flush should be done. I had mine done at 30k and then again at 50k--had 2 repairs that required this but I will continue every 25k miles.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

Today I checked the coolant reserve tank and it shows the regular water no blue or green color water, is it normal or better off spend $$ and have flushed. Thanks guys !!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

ya its not supposed to be clear. SOmeone dumped way too much water in your tank.

Also you cannot open your resevoir and close it without doing a bleed of the coolant system
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Members

I did open and close the reservior and then drove my vehicle, dont know how to bleed will driving without bleed until I go for a service will damage the cooling system?
Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

Is there a DIY for coolant flush?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

My dealership claims it's good to flush it like every 5 years or so.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

Technically protocol is it is a lifetime flush which to bmw means 100k miles. That is their lifetime. Includes tranny flush as well and spark plugs all get rec. to change at 100.

I had my cylinder head replaced at 40k and my radiator replaced at 52k so I have had my coolant flushed and changed twice. I will probably do it every 3 years at this point unless something breaks.

Honestly odds of something NOT cuasuing you to need to flush coolant in 60k miles is probalby rare-something will go and will end up having to.

You wont destroy your engine but if you dont properly bleed your coolant lines after you open your system to the atmosphere, you will get air pockets that build in your system, including the engine coolant passageways and then uneven distribution of coolant due to the pressure differentials.

If you need to check and add coolant, to bleed, all you have to do is leave the cap off the resevoir after you fill it up.

Start the car with the defrost button on (fan can be on low)-this ensures the coolant is passed and ran through the heater core and completes the circuit. Leave the engine running until the car is up to full temperature. The coolant is not fully pumped through the whole system until the block is up to temp. Lightly rev the engine multiple times throughout the 10 minutes or so it will take on a normal temp day. Then while car is still running cap the tank and you are good to go

Quick Reply: Engine coolant service , plz help..