E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

EMERGENCY: Please reply asap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013 | 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default EMERGENCY: Please reply asap.

Hey guys,

I really need your help!

Without thinking, I closed the trunk lid after disconnecting my battery. I have an M5 trunk finisher covering the key hole. Now, I can't open the trunk.

Other than risking the chance of damaging the trunk finisher, what other ways can I open the trunk lid???

Please reply upon receipt of this message. I am stranded!

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

Daniel
Old 05-30-2013 | 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Originally Posted by E60I
Hey guys,

I really need your help!

Without thinking, I closed the trunk lid after disconnecting my battery. I have an M5 trunk finisher covering the key hole. Now, I can't open the trunk.

Other than risking the chance of damaging the trunk finisher, what other ways can I open the trunk lid???

Please reply upon receipt of this message. I am stranded!

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

Daniel
Are you at home, or away? Maybe BMW assist remote unlock? Maybe others can chime in. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the reply, Mike!

I am at home, but the car is parked outside on the drive-way.

If removing the trunk finisher is my last resort, what is the best way to go about without scratching or damaging anything physically?

I can get inside the car and open the hood. I tried connected the power source to the red and ground terminal under the hood, but that does not seem to work.
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:15 PM
Senior Members

damaging the trunk finisher would be an easy way in if that is an option. the trunk finisher is cheap and easy to replace anwyays. to be honest though, if all you used was 3m tape (which comes with the trunk finisher) all you'd need to do is unscrew the trunk finisher and pull it off- no real damage there unless you guys used the bmw super glue to install the trunk finisher. last and only time this happened to me we had to drill a hold in the trunk itself to pull the release cord to get the trunk open.
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by west
damaging the trunk finisher would be an easy way in if that is an option. the trunk finisher is cheap and easy to replace anwyays. to be honest though, if all you used was 3m tape (which comes with the trunk finisher) all you'd need to do is unscrew the trunk finisher and pull it off- no real damage there unless you guys used the bmw super glue to install the trunk finisher. last and only time this happened to me we had to drill a hold in the trunk itself to pull the release cord to get the trunk open.
Thanks for the reply, West!

I think we used the 3M tape that came with it. Which screws are you referring to? Are they the ones connecting to the license plate frame?
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:42 PM
Members

Just a thought but can you "energize" the car by hooking a battery, charger or jumper cables to the terminals under the hood?
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Good news!!!

I did what West suggested and it worked! I unscrewed the two screws that are connected to the license plate frame, gently and slowly (like how you make love to your sweetheart) pulled her toward me and plugged in the key. I think I had an orgasm upon contact.

Thank you, everyone!
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60COYOTE
Just a thought but can you "energize" the car by hooking a battery, charger or jumper cables to the terminals under the hood?
Hi E60COYOTE,

Thanks for the quick response also!

I did tried connecting the power source to the two terminals under the hood. It did not work because the battery was disconnected.

Lesson Learnt: Don't glue your trunk finisher on with cement or anything permanent. Always use the 3M tape that came with it so you can deal with solvable problem like mine.
Old 05-30-2013 | 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually, what E60Coyote said works. I have done this myself.
Old 05-30-2013 | 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually, what E60Coyote said works. I have done this myself.
Interesting...

Nomis_nehc, did you have to start the car to get it to work? I only connected an adjustable charger to the terminals under the hood for a few seconds. I gave up because I thought the electrical current was not enough to push the eject button for the trunk. I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that you "should not" run the engine if the battery is disconnected.

Anyways, I hope this thread will be useful for someone one day. lol

Last edited by E60I; 05-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY: Please reply asap.