E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Elementary question about disconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I have disconnected my battery. Silly question, but do you remove the negative first?

Is the disconnect order remove negative first, then positive, and then the reconnect order is positive, then negative?

Can someone confirm?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

correct. you'll need to reinitialize the active steering if you have it (turn car on, turn wheel all the way to left, then all the way to the right, then turn the car off. warning will be gone on restart.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
correct. you'll need to reinitialize the active steering if you have it (turn car on, turn wheel all the way to left, then all the way to the right, then turn the car off. warning will be gone on restart.
Thanks for the response. Luckily, I don't need to disconnect now that the 'SOS Call Malfunction' error has seemed to have gone away after the car sat for a few hours. But great information for when I need to change the battery. Coming up on 100K now....(on its second battery)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

When I disconnected my Battery I did it in the other order:

Disconnect the Positive first so as it will stay grounded.
then take off the negative.
Putting back on:
Negative First then positive.
Is this not right?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Euronuts
When I disconnected my Battery I did it in the other order:

Disconnect the Positive first so as it will stay grounded.
then take off the negative.
Putting back on:
Negative First then positive.
Is this not right?
Yes, this is not right.

Safety issue, nothing more. You don't want to risk completing the circuit with the wrench you have in your hand by touching it to a metal part of the car, which would then still be connected to the negative terminal, thereby completing the circuit.

If the negative terminal is disconnected that won't happen unless you actually touch the negative terminal with your wrench, which is in most cars impossible to do without really trying.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jm545i
Safety issue, nothing more. You don't want to risk completing the circuit with the wrench you have in your hand by touching it to a metal part of the car, which would then still be connected to the negative terminal, thereby completing the circuit.
If the negative terminal is disconnected that won't happen unless you actually touch the negative terminal with your wrench, which is in most cars impossible to do without really trying.
+1 Negative is the first to be disconnected and the last to be reconnected when removing and reinstalling a battery.

Same holds true when jump starting or connecting a battery tender / charger. And for this situation, locate a good ground connection that is distant from the battery - should sparks occur (and that is very common) it is less likely to cause a problem with any hydrogen gas that batteries produce. http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/jump-start.html
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D E61 Sport Touring, fully loaded.

Originally Posted by 545felix
is there any other items that need to be reinitialised if the battery is disconnected for say 10 mins or so? My reason for asking is I plan to install ipod kit and have read in other posts that battery disconnect may be required.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jay 535d
is there any other items that need to be reinitialised if the battery is disconnected for say 10 mins or so? My reason for asking is I plan to install ipod kit and have read in other posts that battery disconnect may be required.
Thanks.
no, and I've had the battery disconnected for a long time without any need to initialize the AS either. You might lose certain settings, but don't worry about it.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

You may get some unusual service reminders after battery reconnection. Check / set accurate date and time.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by jm545i
no, and I've had the battery disconnected for a long time without any need to initialize the AS either. You might lose certain settings, but don't worry about it.

that's weird. I get the active steering warning even if I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. you have a 545 sport, so you do have active steering for sure. that's weird.

Quick Reply: Elementary question about disconnecting battery