E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ELECTRONIC FAILURE! Get to BMW Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Smile

Hi All,
Despite the labor intensive, 3-day software upgrade (with lots of manual coding), I got another momentary instrument failure and the iDrive Screen Warning (with all the center icons lit) warning me that I could drive no further and must get to BMW service due to "Electronic Failure!" This has been going on sporadically since new, (now 6000, without repercussion) and we thought the upgrade would take care of it. But, it blinked again this afternoon.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm suspecting it might be an early model glitch, but I am also now suspecting that something is loose or broken. Sometimes it will sequentially blink, for about 10 seconds, but always comes back to life (engine never falters, radio continues playing, etc. just instrumentation)

My poor tech is going to go nuts when he hears this....

Ray Hull
Old 03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='258684' date='Mar 22 2006, 08:37 PM
Hi All,
Despite the labor intensive, 3-day software upgrade (with lots of manual coding), I got another momentary instrument failure and the iDrive Screen Warning (with all the center icons lit) warning me that I could drive no further and must get to BMW service due to "Electronic Failure!" This has been going on sporadically since new, (now 6000, without repercussion) and we thought the upgrade would take care of it. But, it blinked again this afternoon.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm suspecting it might be an early model glitch, but I am also now suspecting that something is loose or broken. Sometimes it will sequentially blink, for about 10 seconds, but always comes back to life (engine never falters, radio continues playing, etc. just instrumentation)

My poor tech is going to go nuts when he hears this....

Ray Hull

Has no one experienced this electronic failure warning????

It is getting worse; shorter intervals and rapid repeats today. I suspect it will finally fail and really leave me hanging.

jeers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

I haven't had any of these problems, I'm sorry to hear about it though. Best of luck, I hope you get it resolved.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='259637' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:53 PM

It is getting worse; shorter intervals and rapid repeats today. I suspect it will finally fail and really leave me hanging.

jeers,
Ray Hull
I'm actually having electronic failure as well... And it's also getting worse each day; it happened twice today... However, my electronic failure is different from yours... I will be driving normally and all of a sudden my Idrive and instrument cluster will turn off and reset itself and then my warning lights will come on, usually the dynamic drive light will come on or brake pad failure or power steering failure. I would have to shut off my car, turn it back on and then the warning lights will go away.
I took my car to the dealership last week but the tech guy said they couldn't replicate the malfunction so they didn't do anything about it. Anyone have any suggestions? This issue is driving me insane... I wouldn't have thought that BMW's would have so much trouble with the electronics. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by choi000' post='259672' date='Mar 24 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm actually having electronic failure as well... And it's also getting worse each day; it happened twice today... However, my electronic failure is different from yours... I will be driving normally and all of a sudden my Idrive and instrument cluster will turn off and reset itself and then my warning lights will come on, usually the dynamic drive light will come on or brake pad failure or power steering failure. I would have to shut off my car, turn it back on and then the warning lights will go away.
I took my car to the dealership last week but the tech guy said they couldn't replicate the malfunction so they didn't do anything about it. Anyone have any suggestions? This issue is driving me insane... I wouldn't have thought that BMW's would have so much trouble with the electronics. :thumbsdown:
That's the SAME as mine, but mine resets, instantly. It actually didn't do it for several hundred miles after the software update, but now, as you note, my intervals are getting much shorter, and they are happening almost daily. I wondered early on if it was a moderate temperature thing, as it seems to happen more last fall, and then as the weather cooled, it happened only once the car had really warmed up, and rarely in really cold weather. Now, modertaing temps seem to be seeing a lot of activity again.

My screen will flicker, then goes to warning and the dials go dead, and the left bank of vertical icons between main dials will light up. It usually just goes away, but lately, has started doing it in series (6X is the record). So far, nothing but dials or black screen fail momentarily, but I am waiting....

The tech advisor told me that they'd gone back in the PUMA files and found something about it and that they thought the upgrade would take care of it. Clearly, it hasn't. I'm going to call them this week and tell them to start researching again.

Please let me know if your intervals start to get really close or if something drastic happens. I keep a mileage and date log of mine (just turned 6K on mine)--not that they were interested when I presented them...)

Ray

FWIW, the new software no longer says "Failure" in the headline; now it's electronic warning or something less dramatic.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='260000' date='Mar 25 2006, 03:12 PM
That's the SAME as mine, but mine resets, instantly. It actually didn't do it for several hundred miles after the software update, but now, as you note, my intervals are getting much shorter, and they are happening almost daily. I wondered early on if it was a moderate temperature thing, as it seems to happen more last fall, and then as the weather cooled, it happened only once the car had really warmed up, and rarely in really cold weather. Now, modertaing temps seem to be seeing a lot of activity again.

My screen will flicker, then goes to warning and the dials go dead, and the left bank of vertical icons between main dials will light up. It usually just goes away, but lately, has started doing it in series (6X is the record). So far, nothing but dials or black screen fail momentarily, but I am waiting....

The tech advisor told me that they'd gone back in the PUMA files and found something about it and that they thought the upgrade would take care of it. Clearly, it hasn't. I'm going to call them this week and tell them to start researching again.

Please let me know if your intervals start to get really close or if something drastic happens. I keep a mileage and date log of mine (just turned 6K on mine)--not that they were interested when I presented them...)

Ray

FWIW, the new software no longer says "Failure" in the headline; now it's electronic warning or something less dramatic.
I've scheduled an appt with my bmw service advisor to bring my car in and see what's wrong with it. Hopefully they'll figure something out and the problem will be solved, if that actually happens, I'll let you know what the tech guys find. However, my service appt won't be for another two weeks because that's how long I need to wait for the loaner car to be available.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by choi000' post='260298' date='Mar 26 2006, 12:21 PM
However, my service appt won't be for another two weeks because that's how long I need to wait for the loaner car to be available.
WOW sounds like Assael to me... is that where you're taking it? I cant afford to plan 2 weeks in advance to take cars in so dont take it there for service anymore. Well I can but I dont want to. Plus I dont like those HUGE stickers on the side of the door telling everyone I got a loner car and my car is in for service cuz its broke or somthing.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='259637' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems but I havent and I dont ever want to. (*knock on wood*)

GOOD LUCK!

It does sound like somthing is loose and just becomes disconnected and then after a few bounces connects itself again.