E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Electrical System Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
SRV
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my two month old 550 put on a great show last night. I parked the car at 6:15 (sun still out) and returned after dark (9:30) to discover a really great light show.

The angel lights were illuminated and the break lights were on. The right turn signal light was on too. Additionally the interior lights were all flashing. The comfort acess wouldn't work and the car wouldn't start.

I called BMW Assist and they sent out their flunky to help. He tried to jump the car but all that happened was the lights around the gauges would flash all types of signals and the car wouldn't turn over at all.

He then decided to tow it and he scrached my front bumper.

I didn'nt leave any lights on when I left the car because it is on automatic. Does anybody have an idea as to what happened to my great carlast evening? This came on all at once. Do I have a lemmon? I know electrical systems cna be big trouble.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

My car had a faulty voltage regulator within the first three weeks of purchase. But it gave me a signal when it went out, saying BATTERY NOT BEING CHARGED, your problem sounds more erratic and seems like something to do with the central electrical management. I dont think you got a lemon, I am sure it could even be a minor software glitch, but the getting scratch part is painfull, its so ironic that you take care of your car like a baby and some num nuts just scratches it and does not even care.....
Old 08-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Members

Please keep us Updated. I also have a 550i and it is one month old. I am curious about the problem. I will say the only problem I have happened today. I left PHX and drove to LA. Went from 110 degrees to 85 degrees. At about 10PM last night I started the car and of course the tire pressure warnings were everywhere. All four tires were below were they needed to be. Obviously due to the temp change. But since there is no place in LA area that has a compresser that has not been vandilized I had to wait until this morning. Which meant there were many informative things on the Idrive screen that were not registering because it had to tell me in three separate locations about the tires. Things like:
Could not tell if phone had made a BT connection. Could not tell me how far from destination I was. But thats ok.. I repressurized the tires and everything is fine now. But again Give us an uppdate on the car when you can.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
SRV
Members

My update is that BMW looked at the car. They are keeping it because they have not corrected the problem. They said there was a problem with low voltage. I don't know what this means but obviously it is a concern.

I now have a wonderful 3 series I am driving. I miss my 550
Old 08-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I'll bet the show was good. It's too early to conclude that you have a lemon. Just keep all your documentation. Hopefully, the scratch will polish out. If not, then BMW owes you. Painting the front "bumper" will run, maybe, $700 at a good shop. I had to have mine repaired and repainted for $850. To do a proper job, the "bumper" must be removed. I assume that your car was towed on a flatbed. Bad, if not.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 PM
SRV
Members

Yes it was towed on a flat bed but x-ray (the tow guy) he be scratchin the bumper. If you know what I mean.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 AM
SRV
Members

Thanks for all the great insight provided. The response was truely overwhelming. It appears that the car battery had a short. At least that is what BMW is telling me.