E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ELEC FOLDING MIRRORS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier in the original post, I just wanted to state that, a major disadvantage to the auto folding mirror would be when you're parking in a tight space, then when you come back and unlock the car, the mirror automatically folds out into a wall or something. Happened to me. Just my 0.02$. Cheers.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='316972' date='Jul 31 2006, 02:00 AM
Hi and welcome aboard.

You can have the following programmed by the dealer (and only by the dealer):
When you press the lock button on your key and hold it down instead of releasing it immediately the mirrors fold. When they start folding you can let the button go... When you then open the car with your key by pressing the unlock button the mirrors unfold.
But if you don't have folding mirrors, this feature doesn't work, of course.
I don't think you need the dealer to program this as I have this feature all along, you lock your doors and wait a few seconds before holding down the lock button and this will fold the mirror in and when you unlock your car the mirror fold back out.

If you lock and hold down lock button immediately you will disable the interior motion sensor but it would still fold in the mirror.

If you are really sure that you would like your mirrors folded in everytime the dealer can program it for you on your key so you just need to lock the door and don't need to hold down the lock button and the mirror will fold in, then fold out when you unlock.

I don't fold in my mirrors everytime I park so I didn't ask the dealer to program this for me as I get to choose whether I like it fold in or not as I tend to lock and unlock the car a number of times during the day and it is not desirable to have the mirror folding in and out 10 times a day not only it put more stress on the folding motor, it also uses more battery in the long run so if I were you I would really consider this before asking the dealer to program it for you.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='317078' date='Jul 31 2006, 10:00 AM
Earlier in the original post, I just wanted to state that, a major disadvantage to the auto folding mirror would be when you're parking in a tight space, then when you come back and unlock the car, the mirror automatically folds out into a wall or something. Happened to me. Just my 0.02$. Cheers.
So that's why I like to press the button inside the car instead of going the lazy route by programming it into the key
Old 07-31-2006, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='316972' date='Jul 30 2006, 08:00 PM
Hi and welcome aboard.

You can have the following programmed by the dealer (and only by the dealer):
When you press the lock button on your key and hold it down instead of releasing it immediately the mirrors fold. When they start folding you can let the button go... When you then open the car with your key by pressing the unlock button the mirrors unfold.
But if you don't have folding mirrors, this feature doesn't work, of course.
Why my m5 mirrors don't do this ?
I haven't tried when she had the original e60 mirrors ..
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='317143' date='Jul 31 2006, 08:28 AM
I don't think you need the dealer to program this as I have this feature all along, you lock your doors and wait a few seconds before holding down the lock button and this will fold the mirror in and when you unlock your car the mirror fold back out.

If you lock and hold down lock button immediately you will disable the interior motion sensor but it would still fold in the mirror.

If you are really sure that you would like your mirrors folded in everytime the dealer can program it for you on your key so you just need to lock the door and don't need to hold down the lock button and the mirror will fold in, then fold out when you unlock.
That's not quite right, sorry.

The feature we are talking about needs to be enabled by the dealer through his computer.
Maybe on your car it was enabled allready, before you picked it up, but mostly it isn't. You then have a good dealer.

The mirrors are not programmed to fold everytime you lock the car. They can only be programmed so you can fold them by holding down the lock button on your key.

The alarms interior motion sensor will be disabled when you lock the car, and then press the lock button for a second time! When you lock the car, you press the lock button and hold it down. Then the mirrors fold (if activated) and the sensor stays live. When you lock hte car, release the button and then press and hold it again to fold the mirrors, your interior motion sensor is disabled.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='317209' date='Jul 31 2006, 03:30 PM
Why my m5 mirrors don't do this ?
I haven't tried when she had the original e60 mirrors ..

Only windows ... I have to bring my 5 to the dealer to program the key, in September ...