E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

EKPS comm error

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008
Default EKPS comm error

A few weeks back I was driving my 07 530xiT on a 7 hr trip when the car died while at highway speed. Coasted on the shoulder then before I stopped I tried to restart - great success. At the next fuel stop I connected via ISTA-D and cleared the fault code for EKPS no Comm (as well as no DSC comm).
Car worked fine the rest of the trip and for the last few weeks. Knowing it probably wasn't the fuel pump itself, but since I had one and the old one has ~170k miles on it I decided to swap it out as a preventative measure. Naturally the car doesn't start now. Repeated fault code resets has resulted in a number of various module no comms (RLS, DWA, SZL currently with no EKPS). I've confirmed voltage at the pump connector, and even run the diagnostic module that operates the pump - and can hear the pump. During crank, there is no pressure at the rail. I even opened up the EKPS module to see if something looked burned, but no such luck.There doesn't seem to be an adaptation values to reset and there is no coding mentioned in the ISTA documentation.
I am not opposed to replacing the module but it seems odd that the car would start fine for several weeks without issue then fail to start on a pump swap.
There's not always an additional fault on the PT-CAN network when the EKPS fault exists. The other faults seem to always be on the K-CAN network.
I'd imagine there is some flaky bus connection but I'm not sure how to check for that. Next step is to reinstall the old pump again, it's just going to be another messy step.

I guess my first question is - Is the EKPS module a common failure?

Thanks for any insight -

Andy
07 530XiT
Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Follow up - swapped back to the old pump, turns out I apparently pinched the supply hose from the filter to the pump.
Engine fired up but now I'm chasing a misfire. Probably flooded from all the testing, we'll see.

thanks,
Andy
07 530xiT 6MT