E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Efficient dynamics with Heavy cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really have been confused at bmw' strategy with their efficient dynamics with engine efficiency, brake regernation, as-needed oil distribution, electric water pump etc- All in efforts to improve mpg and efficiency yet the cars are only growing in weight evidenced by the new 5 series.

I feel the e60 was the last of the decent compromise between weight and luxury. They were able to keep the e60 within 100 pounds of the 3 series (the I6 5 series)-at 3600 pounds or so which is pretty amazing for the size and luxury.

They even go to the trouble of using aluminum hood and parts of the frame, subframe and built the engine out of magnesium which cant be cheap---yet they slap on a WAY heavy 100 pound exhaust system-I realized after I took mine off how heavy the muffler alone but the whole cat back system was and I dropped almost 70 pounds with simple straight pipes and RPI exhaust-obviously they need to provide a quiet exhaust for OEM-but for goodness sakes they could make something much smaller and lighter if they are trying to save weight.

Same with Wheels-they should know rotating mass is the key to efficiency and power loss-Having an aluminum drive shaft instead of steel and lighter wheels/tires combo all would provide much bigger gains in MPG than all the stuff they do now which is not cheap to develop--ie engines with valvetronic etc.

Doesnt make sense to me!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Bit of beating a dead horse, but yes, adding weight goes totally against efficient dynamics. I think I even remember a recent interview I was reading about with some BMW exec, who was outlining future product direction - he said that one of the major changes he wants to see is cars becoming lighter.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Never heard anything about on demand oil circulation, I don't think thats right and the electric water pump enables cooling water to still be circulated while the engine is off.

IMO ED is about better efficiency but it really helps the car keep the emissions down for tests which will determine the tax that car will encur for both the public and companies running them. You only have to look at the published fuel consumption figures they have a lot less in common with real term figures than they did 5 years ago. What im saying is that in Europe at least company car drivers can still drive the larger engine cars without incuring the much higher tax they would if the car didn't meet the lower emission standards (a lot of cars sold to company drivers over here have the 2.0d diesel engine which has a really low tax impact). Weight saving doesn't have as much effect as most of the test are based on a rolling road with a set driving pattern. The front end of the E60 is ally to try and keep the 50/50 weight distribution, if it was just about weight loss they would have done the whole body in it.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
I really have been confused at bmw' strategy with their efficient dynamics with engine efficiency, brake regernation, as-needed oil distribution, electric water pump etc- All in efforts to improve mpg and efficiency yet the cars are only growing in weight evidenced by the new 5 series.

I feel the e60 was the last of the decent compromise between weight and luxury. They were able to keep the e60 within 100 pounds of the 3 series (the I6 5 series)-at 3600 pounds or so which is pretty amazing for the size and luxury.

They even go to the trouble of using aluminum hood and parts of the frame, subframe and built the engine out of magnesium which cant be cheap---yet they slap on a WAY heavy 100 pound exhaust system-I realized after I took mine off how heavy the muffler alone but the whole cat back system was and I dropped almost 70 pounds with simple straight pipes and RPI exhaust-obviously they need to provide a quiet exhaust for OEM-but for goodness sakes they could make something much smaller and lighter if they are trying to save weight.

Same with Wheels-they should know rotating mass is the key to efficiency and power loss-Having an aluminum drive shaft instead of steel and lighter wheels/tires combo all would provide much bigger gains in MPG than all the stuff they do now which is not cheap to develop--ie engines with valvetronic etc.

Doesnt make sense to me!

You don't own a BMW. You're just a forum troll.
Where's your car dude? Where's the pics? Any sound clips? Nope, nothing, nada.... ZIP.... and there never will be because you don't even own an E60.

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO BAN THIS DUDE ALREADY? JESUS H CHRIST THIS IS HIS 4TH OR 5TH ACCOUNT.

BANNED MEMBER:
sleepyca31 redhwhiteblue quebecois 545oh