E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of Sport Button in Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I had the opportunity to spend a day at the track in a car control clinic yesterday, and found myself wondering about exactly when and to what the Sport button has an effect when enabled. The manual indicates it initiates "dynamic driving control", including:
" - The speed range of the engine is optimally utilized.
- Gearshifts are faster.
- The engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements.
- The steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements.
- In the automatic mode, the 6th gear is not engaged."

Does anyone know if these enhancements apply similarly in each of the three overall modes, D, S and Manual? Or, does the Sport button mostly enhance D mode only, or D and S mode only?

There are obviously several combinations here, and their effect would be dependent on what driving task was at hand to some degree. After trying several setups, for what we were doing at least (autocrossing), I just ended up in S mode with the Sport button pushed, but at the end of the day I couldn't tell the difference with Sport button on or off in S.

Cal
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Never mind... I found this thread: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...rt+button\

I still am not totally clear about what incremental enhancement the Sport button accomplishes when in S or in Manual mode (i.e., is SSport enhanced over S, is MSport enhanced over Manual?). I couldn't really tell in the autocrosses yesterday in the S mode. I'll keep playing with it.

Cal
Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The difference is noticeable but I think it depends on how much you've driven the car. At first, I didn't notice much of a difference but now, I can always tell if I forgot to turn sport mode on. You just feel it not only in the throttle response but also the shifting speeds...
Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

I assume you're right in that, I don't have a lot of miles in it yet for adequate comparisons... Do you also notice it in the steering response? By the way, you'll remember I was skeptical about Active Steering, but partly on your recommendation I went with it and I like it alot.
Cal
Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='573279' date='May 2 2008, 09:23 PM
I assume you're right in that, I don't have a lot of miles in it yet for adequate comparisons... Do you also notice it in the steering response? By the way, you'll remember I was skeptical about Active Steering, but partly on your recommendation I went with it and I like it alot.
Cal
Glad you like AS -- I know many people don't like it but for me, it's wonderful. (I just looked at your signature again and I think you and I have just about every option available! )

I can't say I notice a huge amount of change in the steering response. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have AS? I've never driven a car with a sport button and no AS so I can't really say much more...
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

As I understand AS operation, it varies the steering gear ratio depending upon speed and other inputs... so I thought maybe the Sport button is moving the variable ratio to a lower range, more direct response to steering wheel input, than would otherwise be the case when in just S or Manual mode. I'd be sure it's doing that in D mode. Another thing I'll try to observe when I have the chance some day to play with the button on and off.
Regards,
Cal
Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Well we know for sure Sport mode cannot change the when a "manual" shift occurs as that is controlled by driver unless you hit redline (upshift) or forget to downshift if slowing. Of course you can prevent even that upshift at redline (at least in pre-LCI) if you are holding the shift lever in gear. For instance, if you push and HOLD the shifter to force a downshift at the first permitted point per EGS software, and continue to hold the gear via the shifter then as you accelerate it will not upshift but bounce off the limiter. Have done that when I knew I would be immediately be deaccelerating for next turn on track/autocross run etc. So manual mode should just be better throttle response, and tightning of servotronic steering.