E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ED planned for 1/1/2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:59 PM
I personally would never take a brand new BMW to the Czech Republic.
I'd be afraid to come back by train...
[snapback]54778[/snapback]
Can you elaborate more on this?
When I was there I rented a Skoda (Fabia) and I did not see anything wrong. I have to admit that I saw very few new Bimmers around, but is there a problem over there? they seem very friendly with tourists and you can bribe cops easily (In case they catch you drinking in the car or doing something stupid like driving on the wrong side of the street)

I was there two years ago and it was the only place where if you get out of the tourist areas you can get a great tasting beer pint for thirty cents USD
Old 11-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:35 PM
Well, you will be in Bavaria so more then likely you will see snow.? If you are heading up towards Frankfurt I recomend Rothenburg.? Small Fortified city with nice scenery on the inside.? If you like medievil stuff they have a jail turned into a torture museum. Not sure if it will be open but the is Phantasia land which is awesome for everyone like a theme park.? Also there is "Cinderella's Castle". Plus, if you like history the Dachau Concentration Camp is 30 minutes outside Munich.? There is also Chiemsee which is a beautiful lake with plenty to do around teh area.

If you want more just pm me.
[snapback]54770[/snapback]
I highly recommend Rothenbug au Tabor, same as above. Absolutely amazing medievel German Town that was once prosperous and fell on hard times. Therefore no modernization for that town. Fully intact and amazing. The night watchman tour is really interesting. Top rating category in the Green Michelin Guidebook for all of Europe, not just Germany. Both my wife and I really liked it.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The correct German name would be:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:35 PM
Well, you will be in Bavaria so more then likely you will see snow.? If you are heading up towards Frankfurt I recomend Rothenburg.? Small Fortified city with nice scenery on the inside.? If you like medievil stuff they have a jail turned into a torture museum. Not sure if it will be open but the is Phantasia land which is awesome for everyone like a theme park.? Also there is "Cinderella's Castle". Plus, if you like history the Dachau Concentration Camp is 30 minutes outside Munich.? There is also Chiemsee which is a beautiful lake with plenty to do around teh area.

If you want more just pm me.
[snapback]54770[/snapback]
Thanks kigerka, I will PM you when I have more time.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:59 PM
I grew up in Bayreuth, a beautiful small city in northern Bavaria.
Can only recommend it - the beer brewing museum is great.

Nuremberg is also great, lots of history and buildings from the middle ages. The transportation museum is also highly interesting.

If you want driving roads, I can give you some tips via e-mail. The Fraenkische Schweiz between Nuremberg and Bayreuth is great for this!

I personally would never take a brand new BMW to the Czech Republic.

Jochen
That has definitely crossed my mind. Danke!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:52 PM
We stayed in Munich at LeMeridien hotel. 4 or 5 star, great location next to Hauptbanhof/trainstation so easy access, near the city center/Marienplatz and victualienmarkt, with great indoor pool, cool plasma screens in rooms and great restaurant. NOT German of course, but we got it online through priceline.com for $120!!!!? A killer price. Others are more German and local style.

You should investigate the Romantishe Strasse region which runs north and south from Munich with beautiful quaint towns. Rothenberg is one famous one, but there are others.? These towns are mostly very picturesque and enjoyable visits.
[snapback]54790[/snapback]
I can definitely use specific recommendations like this! Sehr gut!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

I just got back from ED on the 9th of November.

here is my itinerary:

11/4 Munich
11/5 Munich
11/6 Frankfurt
11/7 Darmstadt, Heidlberg, Stuttgart, Zurich
11/8 Munich (around lake constance)
11/9 drop car and fly home.

My suggestion is to use priceline. I paid between 70 and 80 for each hotel all 4 star (Marriott in Munich, LeMeridian in Frankfurt, Sofitel in Zurich). We drove the local streets from darmstadt to heidlbert (sp?). Otherwise we were on the autobahn. The trip was about 850 miles total. The road from stuttgart to zurich is quite open on the weekends. Also, the drive from lake constance to munich (although parts are not an autobahn) cruise.

I also suggest that you pre-arrange the drop-off. I stopped at the Harms place the day after we arrived and told Gerd that we would drop the car off on Tuesday morning on our way to the airport. He had all of the paperwork prepared for us so that the actual dropoff took only about 5 minutes. He then arranged for a taxi to pick us up.

All of the hotels I identified had great parking with the exception of the sofitel -- it was really tight.

Good luck. Its a great way to buy a car.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 10 2004, 10:03 PM
[quote name='drjochen' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:59 PM']I personally would never take a brand new BMW to the Czech Republic.
When I was there I rented a Skoda (Fabia) and I did not see anything wrong. I have to admit that I saw very few new Bimmers around, but is there a problem over there? they seem very friendly with tourists and you can bribe cops easily (In case they catch you drinking in the car or doing something stupid like driving on the wrong side of the street)

I was there two years ago and it was the only place where if you get out of the tourist areas you can get a great tasting beer pint for thirty cents USD
[snapback]54817[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm making a list of all these great suggestions. Thanks for the support
Old 11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 11 2004, 12:03 AM
[quote name='drjochen' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:59 PM']I personally would never take a brand new BMW to the Czech Republic.

[/quote]

I don't want to be too negative, but my parents live ~ 20 miles from the Czech border in northern Bavaria and ever there cars get stolen all the time.
Most of the cars are moved across the border and then into Poland or Russia.
Its a big business. If they catch the thrives, they are Czech or Polish.

Also, a Skoda is not a BMW.

I am just saying, be careful! The people in the Czeck Republic are very nice and friendly, but I just heard too many stories about cars stolen there.

Jochen
Old 11-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Nov 11 2004, 08:07 PM
[quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 11 2004, 12:03 AM'][quote name='drjochen' date='Nov 10 2004, 07:59 PM']I personally would never take a brand new BMW to the Czech Republic.

[/quote]

I don't want to be too negative, but my parents live ~ 20 miles from the Czech border in northern Bavaria and ever there cars get stolen all the time.
Most of the cars are moved across the border and then into Poland or Russia.
Its a big business. If they catch the thrives, they are Czech or Polish.

Also, a Skoda is not a BMW.

I am just saying, be careful! The people in the Czeck Republic are very nice and friendly, but I just heard too many stories about cars stolen there.

Jochen
[snapback]55157[/snapback]
[/quote]

Czech Republic off the itinerary, due to car theft possibility. We'll have more than enough to keep us busy for the short time we'll be in Germany (5 days of sightseeing by car). Thanks again.

Quick Reply: ED planned for 1/1/2005