E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60s are Problematic???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

It's been nearly 3 months since I've become a member on this fabulous forum and I must admit, I've learned many things I didn't know about E60s and BMWs in general.

However, reading through the threads and various posts, there seems to be an inordinate amount of problems with E60s/E61s that owners are troubled by. Moreover, there also seem to be issues in getting these problems resolved with service centers at dealerships. :thumbsdown:

I've owned a BMW in some shape or form since I learned how to drive, but never have I owned an E60. The 528i M Sport I am awaiting delivery on will be the first. I am now nervous about what my E60 ownership experience has in store for me. Reading some of the threads about break downs, malfunctions, and troubles, reminds me of a nightmarish experience I had with an Alfa Romeo many years back.

Anyone have an opinion regarding this?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I think it depends on your luck mines fine. No more trouble than any other car I've owned
Old 09-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='672220' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:51 PM
I think it depends on your luck mines fine. No more trouble than any other car I've owned
I've owned countless numbers of 3 Series (sedan, convertible, M), a couple of X5s, and a E39 530 and M5... I've never had any problems with any one of them. Nor have I had problems with service centers at dealerships. But all threads and posts about problems are really making me nervous. Buying a car shouldn't be a hit or miss proposition. Especially at BMW level.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Keep in mind that people tend to post about problems, not about positive things. Why would somebody post a thread if everything is fine. Granted, E60 is a mode complicated vehicle than previous BMWs and tend to have more problems, it is still a very reliable car.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='672229' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:11 PM
Keep in mind that people tend to post about problems, not about positive things. Why would somebody post a thread if everything is fine. Granted, E60 is a mode complicated vehicle than previous BMWs and tend to have more problems, it is still a very reliable car.
I agree with you on your point about people posting about problems. But the amount of posts regarding problems is starting to play 'head games' with me. Maybe it's because I still have a couple more months to wait before my car arrives.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E60 had some problems with the steering fluid before, the SA just top-off the fluid the first 2 times and not willing to do anything seriously. This sucker SA wasted me so much time to take my car in and out the dealer. Until BMWNA get involved, the third time finally got it fixed. That said, BMW has the technology and ability to fix your car, but "some" people work there is incapable.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Members

Put it this way : Lexus are supposed to be numero uno for reliability and customer sat...

I had a Lexus IS220d. In 2.5 years and just 20,000 miles from new it went in 7 times under warranty. The dash had to be removed and padded to stop rattles twice. The car never stopped rattling - and there are loads with that problem!

The car had to have several components replaced on recall and warranty around emissions system (5th injectors etc), the fuel consumption was dreadful and appeared to get worse with miles; many cars going into SAFE mode for no reason - some of the petrol cars have a rattle at start up and possibly need a top head re-build, boot lids damaging paint on the bumpers, very soft paint - premature brake disc wear (actually faster than pads(!)), Power Steerng locking up whilst driving etc...do I need to go on? It's not all of them by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to make me jump...

The earlier RX has issus with Lurching gearbox's - at least on a BMW you can do the 25s throttle thing and fix it DIY - on a Lexus it's a dealer job....just look at the LOC and you'll see...

In the end I got so fed up I came back to the germans...

There is no such thing as a perfect car. Having said that, prior to the Lexus I had BMW's, Mercs and Audis, and the only warranty visit I recall was for corroding alloys on the Audi! Other things were trivial...

It would be great if someone with more knowledge could place a Sticky on here with all years, models and known issues so we can see just how good these cars are....

E.g - in the UK, there is some talk on www.bmwland.co.uk of 530dA's needing an engine rebuild after a swirl thingy from the manifold gwts sucked into the engine and killing a piston/cylinder...it would be nice if that affects E39's, or E60's....
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='672229' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:11 AM
+1

Seoulman...step away from the forum for a little bit, take a walk . The anxiety from the extended wait for your e60 and numerous threads you've been reading are not helping your mind set. Just focus on finalizing all your mod choices already
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='672240' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:33 PM
+1

Seoulman...step away from the forum for a little bit, take a walk . The anxiety from the extended wait for your e60 and numerous threads you've been reading are not helping your mind set. Just focus on finalizing all your mod choices already
Meditating.... Uuuhmmm.... Uuuhmmm....
Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Seoulman:

My family and I have owned six generations of BMWs. There is a reason we keep going back. These cars are reliable, efficient and very sound vehicles. You will have to care for the vehicle if you want to see it last. My wifes X5 is now at 135K miles and runs the day it was first rolled out of the dealership. My 545i has 72K miles and with some work, runs great as well. My dad has a 520i that is eight years old and has 220K miles, runs amazing. So it all depends on luck, fortunate and your care... That being said, I think you have made the right decision in choosing BMW.

Quick Reply: E60s are Problematic???