E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60s in hot climates

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Hello there, i read some posts on this fourm regarding differences in cars destined to hot climates. Could anybody provide me with more info on what the differences are, eg. to cooling fans. I am interested as it seems bmw do not change the car if it is destined for a cold country such as scotland...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi:

Someone who knows should stop buy to help soon. I know that BMW has a cold-weather package that helps a car along in the cold. And, it has various heated options (e.g., heated seats and steering wheel) to help the driver and passengers out. But, I am not sure if it offers any truly heavy duty cold-weather gear for the car, itself. And, check out Ricracing's recent thread about icy driving; you can inquire there.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Originally Posted by Znod' post='249863' date='Mar 4 2006, 04:02 PM
Hi:

Someone who knows should stop buy to help soon. I know that BMW has a cold-weather package that helps a car along in the cold. And, it has various heated options (e.g., heated seats and steering wheel) to help the driver and passengers out. But, I am not sure if it offers any truly heavy duty cold-weather gear for the car, itself. And, check out Ricracing's recent thread about icy driving; you can inquire there.

Znod you deserve a noble prize for looking after everyone. We are lucky to have you on this forum.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I live in one of the hottest cities in the US (Fresno) where it's regularly over 100 for most of August. I don't think my car is any different than anywhere else. In fact I have the cold weather package on mine . Hey, it gets down to the 50's in the winter and those heated seats feel good
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
JC3
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i Titanium Silver GONE - 2005 530i Titanium Grey

I'm interested in knowing the answer to this myself.

Where I live, it sits in the 30-40 degree celsius range and in the 70-80% humidity range during summer. I've often found myself sitting in my car in this scorching weather and wondering if the cars are built to stand this sort of weather. Mind you, having a titanium grey car with black interior doesn't make things cooler either.

I wasn't aware that there were any mods made to enable cars to operate in their destination. You learn something new everyday...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='249916' date='Mar 4 2006, 09:23 PM
I live in one of the hottest cities in the US (Fresno) where it's regularly over 100 for most of August.
You are kidding - right? One of the hottest cities in the world? We get temperatures over 100 for 3-5 months every year in Dallas, and its not even close to being the hottest city...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

100 f...eheheh...ur lucky....100f is around 38 celsius...i wish i would stay that hot during june, july, and august,.... live in bahrain(midle east) a desert country... on a few occasions i have left other cars in the sun during mid day and when i return the temp reads 51deg celsius,that about 124 f, when u move and the wind blows at the car it can go down to about 45c....this is my first year in my e60....and i havnt yet fully tried the ac but at those tempratures i tell it will really test the cars air con...u can even feel tthe car has significatly less engine power, the heat really effects it. the roads have a lot less grip in the heat..u can be supprised how little grip there is on a dry road...., and when u are in stop and go traffic....all of a sudden you hear the engine fans running...somettimes u can stop the car...and the fan will keep runing for a few minutes to cool the car down...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

waw, 51deg. sounds hot!!! never experienced that before. i can imagine this must really kill the car, the engine must get baked when you are stationary. I had no idea that the roads would be less grippy though! learn something new everyday...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

We are at 6000 feet abive sea level and with hot summers for 5 to 6 months a year.
As a result BMW detuned the 530D's sold here from 160 to 150kw and no 535D.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by juventus' post='249864' date='Mar 4 2006, 05:13 PM
Znod you deserve a noble prize for looking after everyone. We are lucky to have you on this forum.
Nobel, my man...Nobel.

Quick Reply: E60s in hot climates