E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 vs 330

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear from people who have bought or are buying an E60 who also considered just going with a 330i? What tipped the ballance toward the 5series. Was it a larger car (trunk, backseat size, ?)? Want newer model? More features(which ones)? Just want iDrive? HUD?

I'm ready to order my E60, but the delays on nav/hud and questions around bluetooth, etc, make me think that a 330i is a better(safer?) bet (in the US). I'm looking to be convinced, though.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Members

I am in the Uk, so we don't have the issues that you have with Bluetooth, but my decision was similar to yours. Do you go for the 330 with proven reliability, with all the extras you can think of including sat-nav, or do you head into the unknown with an E60, with unproven reliability and a compomise on the extras you want. I went for the E60, and here is why. I once bought an e36 coupe, a year before it was replaced by the e46, and although I loved the car, I spent all the time thinking my car looked dated. And once I had been in the new one, mine felt noisy and unrefined, and I regretted not waiting for the new model. The new 3 series will be with us in 2004, and so the same would happen again. I have had my E60 a month now, and don't regret my decision one small bit. It is an amazing car to own, I can't imagine anyone being dissapointed. Sat-Nav is a decision you will have to make for yourself, but I know where I am going most of the time, and considered the wait and cost of Sat-Nav Pro (which is what the US will get) for the benefits for me not worthwhile. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Members

I had a 330 sport package this week as a loaner when they did another software upgrade to address a quirky drivers window (would not go all the way up on auto up feature). Tell you the truth the E60 with sport package and active steering handles much better. I almost got in trouble with the 330 on a sweeping turn that I can take at 50+ mph with my 545, the 330 leaned heavily and the steering input just wasn't there, the car understeered badly. Fortunately DSC saved my butt, but my point is with the E60 there is no lean and the car is perfectly balanced on this turn.

Not to say the 330 is a slouch, just goes to show how great the drive is on the E60.

Don't get me started on the phone issue. This is the one issue where BMW has totally dropped the ball. I travel quite a bit (4400 miles in 2 months on the car)and need the hands free feature but I cannot get a clear answer from them.

So many people are hung up on the nav but have any of you waiting on this feature actually used a BMW navigation system. I have spent quite a bit of time in a current 745Li with it and the owner does not even use it snymore because it is totally non-intuitive and worthless. Buy a good set of maps, it is quicker. I am actually a "semi" fan of I-drive but this nav system is the pits.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Members

These responses have been really useful (keep 'em coming), I wasn't sure if I was going to get a bunch of grief for even suggesting such a trade off

Some of what BMW does is really goofy. They've had quite a while to get bluetooth right. The 3series has the same issue with BMW assist, they can't figure out how to get the bluetooth phone and BMW Assist to work together so if you get the 3series Premium package (which comes with BMW Assist) you can't use bluetooth [at least in US]. This is just silly to have gone on for this long?

The dealer here admitted that the Japanese cars are much better than German cars in terms of Nav systems (he said BMWshould just buy the Acura system). I'm wondering if the new nav (3/04 production) is better than the current 7series nav? Or the same?
Old 12-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Members

..and then there's the rumor(fact?) of the new I6 motor for the '05 6cyl 5series? Maybe I need to spend the extra on the V8.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:56 AM

Rumour says the V8 will be replaced also by a 400 Hp V8 engine
Old 12-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Members

Oh, well, I guess it's good that (engine) progress marches on...

So (back to the topic ;-), any other decision points other people had with respect to the E60 vs. 330?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Members

An important point for us was simply size. The 5 sizewise is a lot more room, front, rear, and truck. If you have not been in the car I think you might be suprised by the interior volume.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Members

btw: Does anyone know where I can find a pdf of the 2004 3 series? It's really helped having the 2005 5 series one, esp. the iDrive and being able to see how the different options and buttons work. I'd really like to check out the "3", esp. the Nav system.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:18 AM
5 series baller "CITY OF CO

gets da e60, cuz da biatches and hos wils bee on yo ding dong. HOLLA!!!!

Quick Reply: E60 vs 330