E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Virgin: About to purchase 545i (feedback sought)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback you guys are great. I went and had it thoroughly checked out at the local indie shop here in Jax Beach at DBMW (45.00 bucks can't beat that) and they gave it a clean bill of health. Basically needs new rubber in the rear and will need a brake service coming up. Had a minor hit on front fender panel and was fixed professionaly and nothing else was damaged.

The indie shop guys keep wanting to push me into a 6 six cylinder as they say they have less "issues" after a 100k than the 8 cylinders and they have had to replace a number of engine seals on 545i's which are about 3K. This was news to me.

All computer diagnostics checked out perfect and they said it drove great. I am going to pull the trigger and I guess the question is what type of rubber do I need? Also what do you guys think about the 6 vs. 8 debate? Thanks all the feedback has been great and truly appreciated. - Brett
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gator Angler' post='885724' date='May 21 2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the feedback you guys are great. I went and had it thoroughly checked out at the local indie shop here in Jax Beach at DBMW (45.00 bucks can't beat that) and they gave it a clean bill of health. Basically needs new rubber in the rear and will need a brake service coming up. Had a minor hit on front fender panel and was fixed professionaly and nothing else was damaged.

The indie shop guys keep wanting to push me into a 6 six cylinder as they say they have less "issues" after a 100k than the 8 cylinders and they have had to replace a number of engine seals on 545i's which are about 3K. This was news to me.

All computer diagnostics checked out perfect and they said it drove great. I am going to pull the trigger and I guess the question is what type of rubber do I need? Also what do you guys think about the 6 vs. 8 debate? Thanks all the feedback has been great and truly appreciated. - Brett
I basically did this same deal last Oct.. I say go for it. I do however wholeheartedly agree with the poster above that reference the "tender loving care." Be prepared to pamper this car quite a bit and you will be at the dealer for random things... I've had my car for about 7 months now and have been to the dealer about 7 times I guess.. one was scheduled but otherwise just random malfunctions that pop up...some things minor and expected, some not (alternator and battery death left me on the side of the road)... but other than charging me an arm and a leg for a new battery (not covered under CPO) everything has bee covered and my experience with BMW thus far has been pretty good...

These cars are very technical and the computer monitors itself like crazy.. almost like it has a brain.. so it will tell you any little thing that isn't quite right and you would be best served to have every error message checked out even if it does not return once you've turned the car off and back on..(which is pretty common)

You will hear the same thing about the I6 vs. V8 again, and there's likely some validity to what they told, however I have no first hand knowledge either way.. but I had to have the power, but I would have an M5 if I could afford it so different strokes I guess

The car is amazing and you will love it.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Members

Thanks Vol. You need to bring your vehicle down to the Swamp this year and swill a few with us. I use to go to k-ville every year before my wife made me impregnate her multiple times! I used to litigate for Sea Ray boats and they through a hell of a party up there. Calhouns and the river are definitely one of the coolest gamedays on the planet. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gator Angler' post='885820' date='May 21 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Vol. You need to bring your vehicle down to the Swamp this year and swill a few with us. I use to go to k-ville every year before my wife made me impregnate her multiple times! I used to litigate for Sea Ray boats and they through a hell of a party up there. Calhouns and the river are definitely one of the coolest gamedays on the planet. Thanks for the feedback.
I don't know if I will be able to stomach that Sept. massacre on TV, much less in person I was there for 52-20 and that sucked. Well, the game sucked, but I had a great time as always

Yeah Gameday on the river is awesome and I can't wait to get up there again... Can't wait to head over there this fall and hit the Tail of the Dragon run in the smokies... going to be great in the 545i

Good luck on the purchase man!

I will say this: The next time I exit the car, walk away, and don't turn around to take a look will be the first..