E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Virgin: About to purchase 545i (feedback sought)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by Gator Angler' post='884718' date='May 20 2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. It is a buddy of mine who is car wholesaler. It is in cherry condition except for the mileage. Sport package and appears to have every option imaginable. He is firm at the 18,800 as that it was he got it for at auction. Will wrap up 2k of negative equity I have on a yukon xl that I would like to blowup. So all in all 20k and unload the other car seems like a good deal. Not to mention it is the sweetest driving car I have ever driven.

Do you guys think it wil go 150k pretty easily with proper maintenance? Thanks for all the feedback I am afraid I just picked up another addiction! great site.
Paralysis by Analysis! Get it Gator and show us pics!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Wow, what a beautiful car! Very tasteful. Classy.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by goodman' post='884728' date='May 20 2009, 05:35 PM
Don't be rushed into it. Do your due diligence first. Get the service history of the car and read the CPO warranty so you will know exactly what is and what is not covered. Some CPOs come to the dealership from the wholesaler.
I agree. Get a third party to check the car for you and then see if you can get them to come down $500-1000. But even the price they quoted it's a fair price, if the car checks out. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get your E60 cherry busted.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='884861' date='May 20 2009, 06:47 PM

Wow, what a beautiful car! Very tasteful. Classy.
Thanks for the kind words, 06!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

just get the service hx/car fax and have the mechanic look at it, if it comes out unremarkable- buy it!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='884837' date='May 20 2009, 04:31 PM
Have a look at your keyboard and two keys over from the "M" key is one that has a ">" at the top of it with a small dot at the bottom. When typing, press down on this key at the end of each complete thought. This is commonly referred to as the "period."

Sorry, but I had to ...

I 100% agree with your feedback about making friends at the dealership, as well as your thoughts about folks who enter with a possible bad attitude. Unfortunately, from what I can gather by reading too many 'scary' threads in these forums, sometimes it's the SA or dealership's poor attitude as well. The key is to find the right people to work on your car and treat them well. "Treat others as you would have them treat you" really does work.

I use my [completely outstanding] dealership for technical matters, but have an independent shop nearby as well for regular maintenance stuff like oil changes, new brakes, etc. Not everyone is blessed with the combo, however, and honestly if I didn't either I probably wouldn't own a BMW.

Here's another good example for you: My car is at the dealership right now, and my SA provided me with a new 3series loaner even though I didn't buy it from them. (We do have 4 BMW's in my immediate family though.) I had mentioned to him that I had parts in the trunk that I was going to have installed myself once they were finished with it. Without asking, he told the mechanics to use anything I had back there if they needed to access the parts on the car while reviewing it. I needed new front pads, so they installed the dustless pads I had waiting in the trunk on all four wheels. And since they were putting on the back pads they also decided to install my new spacers for me as well (so they could see what they looked like according to them). They're not charging me anything for the extra work either.

I also barely mentioned my concern about the ticking noise that some people have talked about here in the forums for the 06 530i and he's having it looked at via 'the test' that everyone is nervous about, and promised he will try to get the new head put on it for me because he knows I want to keep the car for a while. He has an 08 and has already had it installed on his. He also mentioned the higher torque / better performance that some of you have observed.

Side note: There IS a new/revised sunroof gasket that BMW recently made available for the dealerships. It's made of a thicker, softer rubber and apparently works much better than what came with the car. They installed it for me yesterday and he said it's now 100% better.

LOL i would get that every day from my girl friend at the time she is a school teacher!!!

My excuse i drive fast and i speed type.

hope you get the NEW HEADS! i never brought this up to my SA does this apply to my 04 545?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

To all of this I will add. If you are lucky you may find a good local (read non-dealer) location to deal with as well. I deal with the Dealer while it is under the CPO, but after that I have a guy that does alot of BMW's just down the road from me. They have two BMW Certified guys on staff and all the computers, etc. But do the work for a heck of a lot less. If you are lucky enough to find a guy like mine who is a BMW nut himself he will take as good of care of you as a dealer will at a more economical price.

Also since no one else answered you I would think that 150K should not be an issue, if the car has been well taken care of, and you do all the BMW reccomended manintaince. I bought my last 5 series with just over 100K on it and drove it daily until 238K when I got my current e60. The previous one is sitting in my driveway right now while I sell it. But I jumped in it yesterday and zipped across town for old time sake. I would still drive it on a fairly long trip if I had to (. I got the current e60 at 88K and plan to drive it to 200+ provided it holds up as well as the last one. So at the ammount that you drive per year (I put 45K a year on a car) I wouldnt think twice about you being able to get what you need out of it. Again provided there isnt something in its past to be wary of, get it and have fun.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

for 18K, get it!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

One note about CPO cars, the 100,000 warranty is up in 2011 on that car, (6 year or 100,000 miles), so if you drove it all the way to 150,000 miles, you would be out of the CPO warranty for the last 50,000 miles (likely to be the MOST expensive ones), just thought you should know!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Man that sounds like a great deal! Has all the options I would care to have at 19k. Carfax it and get it inspected and your golden. I'm in the market for one of these myself and would kill for that car. MTECH bumper too?!?!?!? GEEZ!

But good question though, the used 545i's that I find tend to have 60k-80k miles. What maintenance checks should be done? Plugs/transmission/oil/cig lighter ???

Cheers and good luck with the purchase!

Quick Reply: E60 Virgin: About to purchase 545i (feedback sought)