E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 US crash ratings - 'best buy'

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that so many people are conerned over this NCAP test that appears to be skewed as it states they only tested a 520d right hand drive

Im in the US, and I guess most members are outside and do not read up on the BMWUSA website,... but if you do, you will see that here, the E60 performs best in class in the frontal crash test done by the Insurance Institue for Highway Safety (IIHS)

On the BMWUSA home page they have a pix of the E60 under 'Safety Ratings':

?Every BMW ever tested received our highest rating?-Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

A BMW is not only a safe investment, but an investment in safety. In its tests, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rated the BMW 5 Series, 3 Series and X5--a "Best Pick" for their performance in the frontal offset crash test. This test, which involves driving at 40 mph into a barrier that impacts only the front end on the driver's side, offers insight into a vehicle's ability to help protect its occupants.

5 Series Frontal Offset Crash Test Results
Courtesy of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)

BMW 5 SERIES
2004 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 2004 BMW 545i
Class: Large luxury car
Weight: 3,832 lbs.
Wheelbase: 114 in.
Length: 191 in.
Width: 73 in.
Engine: 4.4 L V8
EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 26 mpg highway

The BMW 5 series was redesigned for the 2004 model year.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of the 545i in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.

OVERALL EVALUATION: GOOD -- this is their Top Rating "Best Buy"

STRUCTURE/SAFETY CAGE: GOOD There was minimal intrusion into the driver footwell area and minimal rearward movement of the instrument panel.

RESTRAINTS/DUMMY KINEMATICS: GOOD Dummy movement well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.

INJURY MEASURES: RIGHT LEG/FOOT ACCEPTABLE Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions. However, forces on the right tibia indicate the possibility of lower leg injury. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.

ADDITIONAL SAFETY FEATURES:
? Active head restraints: designed to move up and forward to support front occupants' heads in low-speed rear impacts (optional)
? Electronic stability control system designed to minimize possibility of sideways skidding
? Antilock brakes
? Daytime running lights

Three aspects of frontal crashworthiness are assessed in the Institute's 40 mph frontal offset crash test: how well each vehicle's structural design (front-end crumple zone and safety cage) prevent intrusion into the occupant compartment; injury risk measured on a Hybrid III dummy representing an average-size male in the driver seat, and how well the belt and airbag perform and interact with the steering column and other vehicle parts to control dummy kinematics (movement).

Learn more at the IIHS website http://www.iihs.org/
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I Titanium Silver Metallic / Black Leather / Poplar Grain Wood Trim /Automatic Cold Weather Package / Heated Rear Seats / Xenon Headlights / Sirius Satellite Radio Leather Selector Lever w/Wood Inlay / Wood E-Brake Handle / Red Rear Reflectors / BMW All Weather Mats / BMW All Weather Trunk Liner / LoJack Anti-theft System

I have read the BMWUSA website and agree with you totally - i'll go with the IIHS ratings. To me the color just looks and feels solid and that has to count for something.