E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Trim panel tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to take out the iDrive MASK computer to connect a multimedia interface and have bought some trim tools for the removal of the dash trim.
Haven't taken off the trim in an E60 before and would like to know which of the tools below would be best for the job:

There is a nice DIY here which I will follow: https://5series.net/forums/topic/943...page__hl__trim along with the TIS info.

1. Basically which tool is best used to remove the long dash piece and also the CD player/storage tray faceplate, see below.
2. Does the long trim piece detach with the vents stuck on it or do the vents stay in place?
3. The long trim should be pried starting from the outside/passenger (left side in the pic below)side right?
4. BMW TIS says to drop down a long screwdriver and push the CD player trim to the outside, sounds risky and I cannot stand even the smallest scratch so is that the only/best way?

My car is a pre-LCI as it has the same setup as the DIY.
Attached Thumbnails E60 Trim panel tools-img_06317.jpg   E60 Trim panel tools-14022010099.jpg   E60 Trim panel tools-14022010101.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I just did this on my car.

TO remove the long dash piece, open the passenger door and carefully pry up the end of the part. I used a flat, plastic putty knife. You can also use a metal blade that has been wrapped in painter's tape. Carefully pry out the rest of the wood as you move towards the steering wheel. Before you get to the end, pop out the hazard switch and remove the electrical connection.

The CD-player/climate control is a bit tricky. I managed to wedge the putty knife between the black plastic of the radio and the interior piece of the car. The clips are located near the break between the storage pocket and radio trim piece. You have to pry like crazy to get the clips popped out. I ended up removing the two screws as shown in the DIY, and then gently pushing on the top of the panel to get it to break loose a little bit on one side. It is difficult to feel your way around while doing this, but just go slowly and carefully and you'll get the pieces apart.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

I've used a PAINTED metal prying tool...the end is similar to what you have in the picture under # 6.....once you get the end up...you really dont need the tool anymore....
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

lmao....all this time ive just used my hands to pry it off/open....like every single time. havent broken anything yet and have taken apart like 4 dashboards now...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Make sure you take off the hazard/unlock buttons first.....
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Yeah hazard switch first, and I think there is a screw behind it also.
Do the vents covers come out with that long trim or they stay in place?

I have the alu cube 3D trim so I'm hoping it's easier to take out without marks.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by umichchris
lmao....all this time ive just used my hands to pry it off/open....like every single time. havent broken anything yet and have taken apart like 4 dashboards now...
+1
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by umichchris
I trust my hands too better than these tools. The worst you will land up with is soar finger tips but no scratched or broken trim pieces. When working directly with your hands its a lot easier to sense the stress you are exerting.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I uses a fish bone for the interior parts but this panel really easy to pull away.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Cool. Thanks all.
How about the vents covers? Will they stay in place or they lift along with the trim?

Quick Reply: E60 Trim panel tools