E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 2004 545i S-AT is it possible to change the transmission fluid?
If so where's the fill hole? I know it has a drain on the bottom? But where the fillup?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

No oil change is need and as a matter of fact not even recommended.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Scoobywrx' post='739368' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:36 AM
If so where's the fill hole? I know it has a drain on the bottom? But where the fillup?
Exactly waht type or moedl is your gearbox?
Luck at the plate on the gearbox.
Has you write me exact information from the platey told you wrehe is located fillup screw.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Frick14' post='739380' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:00 AM
Exactly waht type or moedl is your gearbox?
Luck at the plate on the gearbox.
Has you write me exact information from the platey told you wrehe is located fillup screw.
???
Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='739379' date='Dec 6 2008, 07:56 AM
No oil change is need and as a matter of fact not even recommended.
The car is at 41,000 miles; I know for a fact no fluid is meant for life; Even the roundel magazine people said change it around 50k if you plan on owning the car. No later than 60k due to sludge buildup.

Its a 2004 545i with the Sports Auto Transmission(StepTragic)?

The E46 guys did several comparisons where a few owners changed their's every 30k and the transmissions have held up with major abuse to (160,000+ miles);A few waited till 80-90k and then changed theirs and then teh dogs sleeping within with the sludge came in and caused things to go south)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

A lot of traditionally important service and maintenance is no longer "recommended" by BMW... I think it has to do with the marketing hype they (and many others) have been perpetuating about "lifetime" components, fluids, etc., and also who during the 4-year warranty period is paying for things... In any case, I will be planning to change my transmission fluids and other fluids per the old BMW maintenance recommendations before they went with the Ultimate warranty... Check with Mike Miller, tech editor for Roundel, Bimmer magazine, et al. Launch him an email and he'll send you back his own recommendations.

Cal
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Scoobywrx' post='739368' date='Dec 6 2008, 07:36 AM

The 545i Steptronic transmission is a sealed unit. Fluid replacement will require removal of the oil pan and replacement of the torx screws and associated seals. It's designed to be maintenance-free, filled with a synthetic 'lifetime' fluid (something I don't trust).

Off-topic, but related: A couple of weeks ago my tranny started slipping a bit. The car gave no trouble codes, however. Turned out to be a worn shaft seal that allowed fluid to leak over time, until it was below the level needed for normal operation. Fortunately it was fixed under aftermarket warranty (Fidelity), but still cost almost $200 buck-a-roos (deductable & reprogramming fees). Would have been more (almost $900), but the guys at Century West in North Hollywood, CA are class-acts. They replaced the seal, bolts, fluid, and other components. I was told there is still the possibility of the tranny going bad, as they are unsure how much damage may have been caused by the low fluid condition. It will be covered, but if I didn't have an extended, it would run about $6 or $7k for a new tranny. Had the car warned me of a low fluid condition, or if there was a way to check, I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Hey advancelogic, I noticed the thumbs down on the AFE cold air intake. What was your experience?
Cal
Old 12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='739397' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:20 AM
Hey advancelogic, I noticed the thumbs down on the AFE cold air intake. What was your experience?
Cal
Loved the sound. Great, awesome, agressive sound. But low-end grunt was missing. When the dyno threads started coming out I decided to put the stock unit w/ K&N back on. It was during very warm periods here in SoCal. The low-end grunt returned and the car felt more responsive with the stock unit, though quieter (boo). I could chirp tires again. My thumbs down is because when I took the unit off, I noticed some heat-rot deterioration of the molded connector. Had it been on longer, a complete tear could have formed, allowing particulate matter to be be sucked into the intake tract. An easy way to score my cylinder walls. HERE is my original thread about it. I contacted aFe about it and they gave me some BS about it being a bad mold and they'd send a replacement right out. I'll post the convo below (full names removed, along with contact info). It's December and I STILL haven't got the part. Don't need it now as I decided to return the unit a few days ago and didn't feel comfortable knowing that I was close to the edge.

************************************************** ******************************

Al,

That is not a problem and we will get you out a new coupler on Monday

Thank You,

Steven B
AFE Inside Sales

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 4:31 PM
To: Eric B
Cc: Steven B
Subject: RE: 545i aFe intake failure

I have not heard from you guys, except for the e-mail below. While I appreciate the response, I'd like to know my options gentlemen. Please send a properly cured, heat resistant replacement part to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 1:29 PM
To: Al P
Subject: RE: 545i aFe intake failure

steven,
this part may have failed due to improper curing. The urethane has been in production since afe started doing buisness. Its used on our diesel apps and they are under more severe heat conditions.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:31 PM
To: Eric B
Subject: 545i aFe intake failure

Good morning Eric,

I have a major problem with my 545i intake. Joe from Trinity Autosport (the vendor I used to purchase the unit) referred you to me. The rubber connection between the MAF and the CAI cone has deteriorated. Fortunately I caught it before a hole developed and allowed particulate matter into the intake stream and potentially score my cylinder walls, but it's given me a moment of pause. The rubber connector between the filter and the MAF sensor failed due to what looks like heat rot. The rubber facing the radiator has cracked and split. I'm surmising the problem lies with the use of metal for the 'heat shield', the use of metal worm clamps, and the proximity to the radiator compounded by hot summer temperatures in the San Fernando Valley and Las Vegas. The unit is 5 months old (new?) - far too young for quality rubber to deteriorate. The unit is effectively useless without this part. A $300 investment for 5 months of use on a product expected to last years gives me a moment of pause. Please advise as to the steps needed to remedy this. Pics are attached for your review. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alfred Pierfax