E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

My service rep said that lag may be the time it takes for my computer to figure out what gear it should be in. He told me to try the same driving sequence in sport mode to see if I still have the lag. I did and the throttle lag is gone. Next: what to do to fix it. I think I have a recent version of software. I will be having it checked out soon and will post whatever I learn.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
are you running the tranny in D or M/S? doesn't this make a difference in which gear the car starts in? 1 or 2?
I almost always drive in "DS" mode. It's definitely a tad snappier than "D" but the issue is still there. I semi-agree with the comments above about my Cobb tune. I was hopeful it might eliminate this issue, but the initial lag is still there. So I'm wondering if this is "mechanical" as opposed to software calibration. That's what intrigues me about Sprint Booster. However, I'm definitely wary of mixing it with my Cobb tune. Need more research I guess.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I'm not understanding why one would use a tune AND a sprint booster. Seems to me the tune should be able to dial in the charactereistics you are looking for. I don't know Cobb but I think you should look to see what options you have to correct the boost response.

You should also look into what DME version you have. There is a version that was put out to correct wastgate rattle and it made it lot of owners upset because it introduced significant turbo lag. So there was another "fix" that allowed dealers to make another change. I'm sure I don't have everything correct there from memory but I am correct in saying your lag may be a result of a DME update AND I don't I think I would be layering on a Sprint Booster on top of a Tune. Dial in your tune to behave the way you like.
You can't actually put one "on top" of the other. Unless my JB4 now has the ability make throttle pedal position sensor adjustments, a Sprintbooster and JB4 have nothing to do with each other. The throttle lag can be found in all E60 models, it is separate from any turbo lag you may want to address.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Try a tranny reset. May fix your problem and it is simple. It will start off flat and learn your driving methods.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by ProMed
The throttle lag can be found in all E60 models, it is separate from any turbo lag you may want to address.
Hadn't really thought about it - just seemed like the same thing to me. With Procede I can change when the boost comes on (sensitivity to throttle position) but I guess even this would be second to actual throttle lag. I wonder though when the tune controller looks at throttle position,, is it reading CAN throttle position with or without the affects of a SB altering the throttle signal?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I wonder though when the tune controller looks at throttle position,, is it reading CAN throttle position with or without the affects of a SB altering the throttle signal?
Not sure what you are asking here? I would assume a tune picks up its throttle position signal far upstream from the actual pedal. If the pedal position is at the previous 10% "throttle input" and the SB is swapping this at the pedal to a 50% "throttle input", there is no way a tune can detect the old throttle position.

On several of my motorcycles I have swapped the throttle tubes with ones having a larger cam, where the throttle cables attach. This reduces the distances you turn the throttle to get to W.O.T. and it increases the throttles sensitivity to smaller inputs. A sprintbooster essentially does the same thing.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I have a 2009 550 with the Sprintbooster V1. The SB helps but does not eliminate the throttle lag even when driving in DS (which is most of the time for me). The E60's throttle lag off idle is my least favorite thing about the E60. It is just not linear or smooth.