E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

A few months with my 535xi now and, while I do live this car, I'm baffled by the laggy initial throttle response. Thought maybe I'd get used to it, but I still find the feel of the throttle frustrating. Is this specific to my turbo or is it a general atribute of these cars. It just makes the car feel sluggish and stately instead of exciting and aggressive. I was hoping my Cobb tune would eliminate this, but it hasn't. Cobb gives me tons of power when i goose it, but theres still a painfully slow initial buildup of power as i start opening the throttle. Is something like a Sprint Booster the only answer?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

You answered your own question. Sprint Booster
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Contributors

I had the same problem with my 08 535i. A transmission reset took care of my problem. I don't know now long it will last but it has been a week, no problem
I don't know what OP I copied this from, so I can't give credit
1. Put key in the ignition **
2. Click on the Start button without having your foot on the accelerator. At this point the lights on the dash will all light up.
3. Push the accelerator to the floor and hold it for about 30 seconds. For me at about 20 seconds I heard a very faint sound. This is the reset sound. Don't worry if you don't hear it. Just keep your foot on the pedal for about 30 seconds.
4. With pedal down, push the ignition button to turn off lights, etc.
Now start the car and test it out. For me the acceleration from a stand still was much improved. I now don't feel like I need to drive in DS mode all the time.

** If you have comfort access (like I do) put the key in the ignition and follow the instructions
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
You answered your own question. Sprint Booster

yup! got one in my 08 535i and the thing makes you feel like your gunn a fly back into your seat!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by luvmyride
I had the same problem with my 08 535i. A transmission reset took care of my problem. I don't know now long it will last but it has been a week, no problem
I don't know what OP I copied this from, so I can't give credit
1. Put key in the ignition **
2. Click on the Start button without having your foot on the accelerator. At this point the lights on the dash will all light up.
3. Push the accelerator to the floor and hold it for about 30 seconds. For me at about 20 seconds I heard a very faint sound. This is the reset sound. Don't worry if you don't hear it. Just keep your foot on the pedal for about 30 seconds.
4. With pedal down, push the ignition button to turn off lights, etc.
Now start the car and test it out. For me the acceleration from a stand still was much improved. I now don't feel like I need to drive in DS mode all the time.

** If you have comfort access (like I do) put the key in the ignition and follow the instructions
This will be temporary.. you need Sprint booster! Once you reset your tranny the tranny will learn again and you be i the same boat again in a couple of weeks!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I had felt same after my E46 M3 was for service and I got 335i as loaner, but then I tried 335i with manual and completely different car. It's seems to me it's all turbos cars with auto tranny.
In other hand 550 has good response, but it's because a lot torque at low rpm. The BMW V8 is remind me US muscle cars. But it's nothing to compare to E46 M3. E46 M3 I think it was best car ever made by BMW. A small engine 3.2L with 333hp with 8,000 rpm red line.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

are you running the tranny in D or M/S? doesn't this make a difference in which gear the car starts in? 1 or 2?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by phlfly
In other hand 550 has good response, but it's because a lot torque at low rpm. The BMW V8 is remind me US muscle cars.
The 550 I test drove had all the power up top. Starting off and lower speeds it felt more "winded/ lumbering" than the 535. Up top and on the interstate the 550 trumped the 535 with power. My guess is that the extra weight positioned up front in the engine played a big part in the 550s less nimble feeling in the low and mid-range.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by stylin8o8
yup! got one in my 08 535i and the thing makes you feel like your gunn a fly back into your seat!
I agree, with the SprintBooster v.2 on the green "middle" setting the car is much nicer to drive day-to-day around town and on the interstate. The initial throttle lag is gone and the throttle is much more precise to inputs which matches well with how the car handles. With the "red" setting in sport mode the throttle feels sharp as a razor.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'm not understanding why one would use a tune AND a sprint booster. Seems to me the tune should be able to dial in the charactereistics you are looking for. I don't know Cobb but I think you should look to see what options you have to correct the boost response.

You should also look into what DME version you have. There is a version that was put out to correct wastgate rattle and it made it lot of owners upset because it introduced significant turbo lag. So there was another "fix" that allowed dealers to make another change. I'm sure I don't have everything correct there from memory but I am correct in saying your lag may be a result of a DME update AND I don't I think I would be layering on a Sprint Booster on top of a Tune. Dial in your tune to behave the way you like.

Quick Reply: E60 Throttle Response