E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 surrendered to snow and freezing rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Well,

Never put off what you can do today, as some great said. Well, I did. I hate my winter tires and decided I put em on for the first snow day. Mistake.

My SO or house boss reminded me of this Saturday morning, as the Chicago forecast called for freezing rain and snow in the afternoon. I reckoned my errands could be finsihed before the snow hit. Well, I got caught.

Arriving back from my haircut, there was only light snow on the ground. Em, not too bad I thought. I started off (I'm in a semi-hilly South Surburban town) and my E60 started sliding on flat ground. Yikes. To get out of the town, I had to go up semi steep grades and the E60 wanted no part of that. The mildest hill it lost traction near the top and then started sliding sideways. Luckily, I kept things slow and the route attempted was light in traffic. It got pretty gruesome at one point, as I was sliding fully sideways in my lane and other drivers watched in amazement. Surely this was the anti-commercial for BMW. Like how unsafe is that. Audis and various other AWD vehicles zipped past with no trouble, as the E60 laid against the curb with its front tires. Thankfully, no curb rash at all. My car was the only car in such a state. The climax arrived as I had to reverse down the hill and let the front end spin around to face forward. This was the only way off the hill other than BMW assist. I'd die first. 2nd attempts to do this.

At any rate, after getting off the hill (its really not that steep) I had to make the final and fatal call. Honey, I can't make it home with the bimmer because of the weather, can you pick me up in the Audi?? I got an earful. #$%%$$#%% Needless the to say, never drive with sports tires in freezing rain conditions, even a little bit. Also, put your snow tires on before the weather arrives.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Had a similar experience in my e39 , 19" summer wheels and low profile tires , I was sliding around like my tires where covered with Saran Wrap....... I put it away without damage but with a complete appreciation for the importance of proper tire..................... hey isn't it great that RWB is gone, he would be replying about his driving prowess in snow with bare rims or something stupid !!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Yep, the last few days in BC have once again proven the need for proper winter shoes on BMWs....

That wet, heavy snow is the worst too.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Members

CVT Benhogan -- thanks for the memories. I'm a former Chicago boy -- transplanted to Houston. I drove every one (except my e60) of my bimmers thru Chicago winters. Don't miss it!

BTW, on Saturday it was a cool 70F here...

Be safe over there.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='502264' date='Dec 3 2007, 03:37 PM
Had a similar experience in my e39 , 19" summer wheels and low profile tires , I was sliding around like my tires where covered with Saran Wrap....... I put it away without damage but with a complete appreciation for the importance of proper tire..................... hey isn't it great that RWB is gone, he would be replying about his driving prowess in snow with bare rims or something stupid !!

Hey, I'm RWB and I resent that comment...I think ...no wait a minute I don't have the world's first supercharger on my E60 and DO have a camera so I guess I can't be him
Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='502257' date='Dec 3 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, Never put off what you can do today, as some great said. Well, I did. I hate my winter tires and decided I put em on for the first snow day. Mistake.

My SO or house boss reminded me of this Saturday morning, as the Chicago forecast called for freezing rain and snow in the afternoon. I reckoned my errands could be finsihed before the snow hit. Well, I got caught.

CVT Benhogan
Same thing, on a bridge after a brief snow squal...an OMG moment. Except, I postponed having the winter wheels slipped on so that I could have the lousy Dunlop thumpflats FINALLY replaced all at one time. The warranty replacements (permitted to be something other than Dunlops by BMWNA) arrived last week, but they couldn't schedule me until Thursday.

I was white-knuckled all the way to work this morning.

Can't wait for those old 17" Semperits to get remounted.

Ray
Old 12-03-2007, 05:12 PM
JPJ
Contributors

So tempting to push it as long as possible!

I did something similar, but in the "spring" -- couldn't wait to have the summer set up on, then got caught by a late snow and could even get out of a parking lot.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='502295' date='Dec 3 2007, 08:19 PM
Hey, I'm RWB and I resent that comment...I think ...no wait a minute I don't have the world's first supercharger on my E60 and DO have a camera so I guess I can't be him
Too Late I have 16,000+ witnesses ..... RUDY ban this guy !!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Thanks for the report. I am glad your car did not get damaged. Your story brought back memories since I was born in Minnesota. However, is was 79 degrees here in Houston last weekend. I spent Saturday washing my car! I forgot all about snow tires.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Glad you and the car are ok. I feel your pain. Nothing worse than having to call the CP (Chief Procurer), a.k.a. the wife, for help regarding anything automotive. Get those snow tires on and go teach winter a lesson.

Quick Reply: E60 surrendered to snow and freezing rain