E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2006 525i Sport, Premium, Winter, Nav, Xenons, Satelite

Hi Everyone,

Anyone experiencing handling/steering issues with their E60? Excessive power boost at lower speeds and overall sense of a "light" wheel? This is incremental to an already exuberantly sensitive/boosted steering feel on E60, that appears to be by design.

Recently had my GY Run flats swapped for Bridgestone with subsequent alignment performed. Car never felt the same since. Overall, steering feels way light with a strange sensation of power assist doing something funky at higher speeds, varying between inconsistent tightening/loosening of a steering wheel. Note, car is not equipped with Active S.

Dealer performed full diagnostics and another alignment that has not revealed anything. Bottom line, dealer claims everything is up to specs, nevertheless they continue to troubleshoot and seem somewhat vague themselves.

Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

my steering wheel feels a little light to me.. i think i get what youre saying about high speeds. sometimes at high speeds on the freeway it will feel that the car is moving sideways or something? i thought it was kinda weird when it happens but then i heard it also happens to some others.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='376503' date='Jan 10 2007, 04:06 PM
my steering wheel feels a little light to me.. i think i get what youre saying about high speeds. sometimes at high speeds on the freeway it will feel that the car is moving sideways or something? i thought it was kinda weird when it happens but then i heard it also happens to some others.
You guys have to keep in mind that the e60 was designed to be a comfortable luxury car. If you want precise heavy steering, you should have got the 330 or m3.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

im not complaining about it or anything.. it may feel a little light but its fine with me. doesnt stop me from enjoying the car
Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Members

By no means am I comparing E60 to E90 road feel, 2 entirely different cars. What I am talking about here is after new tires & alignment, steering/power assist feels odd, incrimentally light and incosistent.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='376507' date='Jan 10 2007, 03:12 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that the e60 was designed to be a comfortable luxury car....
No more so than the E39 5-series, and it didn't have the steering issues described above. It's the Active Steering - I like the concept, but it does get in the way of some "road feel" in the steering wheel. It's a tradeoff , and I'm not sure it's worth the convenience it provides at very low speeds and in parking.

Overall, I think it makes the E60 feel lighter and a little jittery on less than perfect pavement. Anyone without AS care to contrast?

Alexiemoscow, to your original question, new tires can sometimes take a while to break in, during which they'll feel a little loose. Have they done a software update recently? I know they "adjust" the AS setting from time to time.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Members

TXPearl. Appreciate the insight.

I had the tires for a few weeks which is ample break-in period, IMHO. I do need a CIP update, (CD keeps on playing after shut off), but I was told to wait untill March for that. I guess they are anticipating V. 25 that is Eybrow friendly!

I really don't think it is the tire issue, it feels more like Servotronic sensors getting confused and sending wrong readout that ultimately translates to unstable handling/road feel.

I do want to mention, I had faulty DCS sensor replaced before, that was making the steering all funky at times, however that time around computer threw a flag! What I am experiencing now is very similiar, but not as severe with no accompanied error codes.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Members

I dont have active steering and mines feels really heavy. more so than my e39. My friend who is a rally mechanic has driven it and says he likes it. He calls it very positive. I still think its too heavy. Getting a new steering column on monday so maybe this will help it.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Members

freseman999,

What year/model are you driving? Sport Package?

You might want to add this info to your 'signature' -- that would be helpful as we digest your input.

I'm curious as I may forego the active steering in my next E60 purchase (probably a refreshed '08 550i sport).
Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Active steering :thumbsdown:

Maybe some like it but I am against it, it gets in the way of traditional BMW handling much more than X drive that so many rail against. Let the flames begin!

Quick Reply: E60 Steering Issues