E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Software upgrade, scared!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, i just bought a 2005 BMW E60. The CD Shuttle does not play MP3s, i heard that there is a sofware upgrade that will enable the mp3 function however i was told by my local dealer that i should not do the upgrade because the control unit often breaks and needs replacement when the software is upgraded. he also said that it would take 2 hours which seems a bit long. I find this hard to believe but am scare to break the control unit because the car is no longer under motor plan.
Is it true that this can happen or is the guy just scaring me?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Don't know if the update can break the unit, but I do know that most dealer are reluctant to update if it is not needed. If the update fails, it's just like any other software program that crashes...it will mess up the car. So a new update will be necessary, which cost the dealer to much (and of course they will let you pick uo the bill)

So if the dealer does not gives you a garantee that it will work fine the first time (which they won't) you should do so at your own risk...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

This CD Shuttle not a OEM equipment?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi, Dark Green, c w pkg, premium pkg, premium sound, AT, comfort seats, PDC, nav, hud

Originally Posted by garinh77
HI, i just bought a 2005 BMW E60. The CD Shuttle does not play MP3s, i heard that there is a sofware upgrade that will enable the mp3 function however i was told by my local dealer that i should not do the upgrade because the control unit often breaks and needs replacement when the software is upgraded. he also said that it would take 2 hours which seems a bit long. I find this hard to believe but am scare to break the control unit because the car is no longer under motor plan.
Is it true that this can happen or is the guy just scaring me?
If by the CD Shuttle you mean the 6CD changer in the glove box, it doesn't play MP3s regardless of the software version. The in-dash CD or DVD player will though with the proper upgrades.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

Thanks guys, yes i ment the 6cd changer that is oem. the main reason i want the software upgrade is so that i can install the IPod retrofit. i read on this forum that once you have the mp3 update you can do the iPod retrofit as a DIY.
My real worry was that the guy at BMW said that the upgrade could fry the unit and then it would cost $2000 for a new one.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by garinh77
Thanks guys, yes i ment the 6cd changer that is oem. the main reason i want the software upgrade is so that i can install the IPod retrofit. i read on this forum that once you have the mp3 update you can do the iPod retrofit as a DIY.
My real worry was that the guy at BMW said that the upgrade could fry the unit and then it would cost $2000 for a new one.
Check to see if you can play MP3 in-dash. If so then you have already upgrade enough for ipod retrofit. Yes, there is a risk to the CCC although I would not say it is significant. I went through this with my 1/2005 build with no issues as probably many more did on this board. BUt time has passed and you are not covered so you have to weigh the risk/reward for yourself.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav
Check to see if you can play MP3 in-dash. If so then you have already upgrade enough for ipod retrofit. Yes, there is a risk to the CCC although I would not say it is significant. I went through this with my 1/2005 build with no issues as probably many more did on this board. BUt time has passed and you are not covered so you have to weigh the risk/reward for yourself.
thanks cobradav
Makes sense. out of interest how long did your upgrade take?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

My mp3 upgrade took around 40 min's,the whole car took around 7-8 hour's!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

A full update can take as much as 8 hours, mine is going in on 8th to add the retrofit for the auto-dim/folding mirrors, dealer was reluctant to do the update but i said ISTA/p won`t allow the retrofit
with out an update anyway so will see.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I'm getting confused again. I have an '07 with the AUX port on the center console. I have hooked my Blackberry to it and played MP3s through it. Does this mean that I can just get the iPod adapter that goes in the glove box and not need programing?

Quick Reply: E60 Software upgrade, scared!