E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 software final information

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d E60

Hi everybody,

We're all driving a highly-software-driven car and I'd like this post to grow to a 'must read' to get up to date with the software versions, issues, solutions, tricks and so on.

I read around on the forum and found some info but not quite as detailed or clear as I had hoped.

As my car will get a software update next week (a 2005 pre-LCI european version) , I will be able to report on the noticable changes (if any) between a (probably) 2005 factory version to a today version. I don't know if the car has ever been updated before.

Interesting: when I asked about the time required the dealer said that it can take between 2 and 6 hours depending on the number of modules that 'it' finds that need updating.

This suggests that it's like the 'old' 5 series navigation systems where you would insert a CD with all latest versions of the nav system and it would only update what it finds that CAN be updated. So it's not that only certain items are updated by choice of the engineer.

So, if you have information on versions and what they do (or not) please post it here.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring (born November 22nd, 2006) Carbon Black (metallic), Black Dakota Leather, 18" M135 L/Alloy Wheels with 245/40 R18 93Y Goodyear NCT5 tyres (Run-flats), Manual Transmission, Xenon headlamps, Headlamp-washer system, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Navigation-system Professional, Hi-Fi loudspeaker system, M Sport Package, Roof Rails, M-Sports Suspension, Sun Protection Glass, High Gloss Shadow Line, M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, Anthracite Headlining, Cup Holders, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, DVD Prep in rear, Side Blinds (manual), Automatic Air Conditioning, M Steering Wheel, Aluminium "Cube Pure" interior trim, Sports Seats, ISOFIX Child Seat System (front passenger seat), Park Distance Control

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='491812' date='Nov 8 2007, 09:10 PM
Hi everybody,

We're all driving a highly-software-driven car and I'd like this post to grow to a 'must read' to get up to date with the software versions, issues, solutions, tricks and so on.

I read around on the forum and found some info but not quite as detailed or clear as I had hoped.

As my car will get a software update next week (a 2005 pre-LCI european version) , I will be able to report on the noticable changes (if any) between a (probably) 2005 factory version to a today version. I don't know if the car has ever been updated before.

Interesting: when I asked about the time required the dealer said that it can take between 2 and 6 hours depending on the number of modules that 'it' finds that need updating.

This suggests that it's like the 'old' 5 series navigation systems where you would insert a CD with all latest versions of the nav system and it would only update what it finds that CAN be updated. So it's not that only certain items are updated by choice of the engineer.

So, if you have information on versions and what they do (or not) please post it here.
How can I quickly verify the version of the software used in my car ? Is this done through the hidden menus in the i-drive ?

I've been wondering for some time now how to determine this quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Also I read that mentioning that "the CD keeps running" after locking the car is sometimes a good reason to obtain a software upgrade by the dealership. Any experiences with this ?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Unfortunately only the dealer can tell you watch software version you currently have. People have been trying for years (and failing) to find hidden menus in the E60 iDrive which would show us this kind of thing.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='491846' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately only the dealer can tell you watch software version you currently have. People have been trying for years (and failing) to find hidden menus in the E60 iDrive which would show us this kind of thing.
I heard it's possible to be done with iDrive and after bit of Googling found this: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95824 ... lets try it.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Didn't know that ... but ... I don't think any of those show the progman version?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Because there is so much MISS-information out there a thread such as you suggest is nigh on impossible as it would contain equal amounts of misguided, incorrect or pure conjecture information. This miss-information begins at the dealer level as many are unsure and US Dealers are singled out by BMWAG as not following good practice by not always updating with the latest versions of PROGMAN. I cannot tell you how many times I hear just out and out fabrications by BMW service centers on software topics. And to add to the confusion is some real issues where what certain screens on certain modes of the the update hardware/software provide information in different formats and levels of detail so we get kind of a short hand that does not match what we think as "truth". Not the dealers fault for sure, but it happens.

Here is a guide only to help start you on your journey: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=483691