E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The E60 and snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I have a 2007 530i with manual transmission and the sport package. The wheel size is 245/40/18. I am wondering how these cars perform in snow. I live in town so I basically drive in slush rather than deep snow. I have 3 options:

1) Continue with current run flats
2) Replace current tires with a more all season option
3) Dedicated snow tires (225/50/17)

The snows would likely offer the best performance at the highest cost. Are they necessary? I think the car is pretty well balanced which is a plus but the wider tires tend to float. Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!

JoeThe E60 and snow-bb2.jpg
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

These cars are NOT good snow cars unless you have four good winter tires and use common sense in winter conditions, then its a tank. All seasons (really three seasons) and summer tires both start to lose their grip around 7 degrees C (45F) since the rubber compound hardens in cold weather. They behave like banana skins. As you noted, the extra width of your tires makes the problem worse. Go with the dedicated snows. I use Michelin X-Ice chaged over to my OEM rims and love them but others prefer a number of other tires. Bridgestone Blizzaks, Dunlops and Michelin Alpins are more popular on BMWs. Check out (but not necessarily buy) what your dealer is pushing if they offer Winter tire packages. You can put snows on your existing rims but a narrower tire will perform better. Wider tires also cost more.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Go with the dedicated snows.
+1

I would echo getting winter tires ... and a dedicated set of wheels too. Yes, you can put snows on your existing rims but I think the wear-and-tear from repeated removal of the runflats will reduce the useful life of the tires. I had two sets of the same sport wheels on my 550i (with a staggered set-up), and have now repeated the same thing on my M5 ... no problems running the wide tires in the snow.

I've used each of the brands Gilgorm suggests (Bridgestone Blizzaks, Dunlops and Michelin Alpins) and I would have to say that the Dunlop Winter Sports have been my favorites. Oh, and you can find much better prices (TireRack) than going to the stealer for tires.

While it is expensive to buy a full winter set-up (wheels and tires), I think you will find this to be one of the most satisfying investments you can make for your E60.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Members

Agreed. I have Blizzak LM-22s on 17" wheels for the winter and the car handles great in the snow. With the stock 18s I could barely move. I change mine in mid-late November and go back to summers in May.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Options number 3!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Members

Thank you for the excellent feedback.

I was leaning toward snows since I believe my old E36 with 4 snows was a better driver than the 626 (FWD) with all season tires that I had before that. I know a taller tire is better in snow so I think the 225/50/17 would be the best best even if it means buying wheels in addition to the tires.

I found a package for around $1200 at the Tire Rack. I'll check the local tire shops to compare and then make a purchase in time for the frozen tundra of Green Bay to reappear.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Excellent choice: dedicated snow tires all the way. With proper tires (and common sense) you can cope with a surprising amount of snowy/icy conditions in these cars, without them you're completely lost when winter sets in...
Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bavariancowboy
Hello.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!
My thought is, no matter what the 5er will get stuck in deep snow even with the best snow tire and AWD. Our cars lack ground clearance.

My experience is, even if you have good traction and control in the snow, other drivers who don't have good snow tires or awd traction can and will hit you.
I was driving a friends audi last year during a sudden snow storm and a mustang came 2 feet from colliding with me because he lost control of his car.

Because of this my car is garaged when it snows.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Members

Go with dedicated snows and you will be fine. I am going with the Blizzak LM60's this season. Highly recommended from Tirerack and my local tire dealer.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by bavariancowboy
Hello.

I have a 2007 530i with manual transmission and the sport package. The wheel size is 245/40/18. I am wondering how these cars perform in snow. I live in town so I basically drive in slush rather than deep snow. I have 3 options:

1) Continue with current run flats
2) Replace current tires with a more all season option
3) Dedicated snow tires (225/50/17)

The snows would likely offer the best performance at the highest cost. Are they necessary? I think the car is pretty well balanced which is a plus but the wider tires tend to float. Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!

JoeAttachment 111340
I have 245 40 18 MZ-003 Blizzaks (RFT) and the car handles great in the snow. I'm almost fearless with these tires. Handles better than any FWD I've ever driven. The great balance of the E60 makes it a gem with winters tires. Another key benefit is keeping your non-winter tires and wheels away from the harsh elements.

The downside. The RFTs are harsh. I'd opt for non-RFT in hindsight. 17s and narrower widths are also advisable but (to me) its a sin to have any E60 riding around on 17s.