E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Apr 10 2005, 11:32 AM
KKK, UDM status of BMW says it all. So if its 520i vs GS300, do you still go for the 2.2L or 3L?

Sent for my first service yesterday. And was with Zag abnd saw his bill. I have an item called Service - Standard Scope, while Zag wasn't charged for this. Why the discrepancies? What is being done in Standard Scope that was not performed in Zag's second servicing? When asked, the CSA said Zag's bill was wrong and was mumbling to himself and I did not want to pursue further.

Also on the engine oil, it was stated Formula SLX. It costs $24 per litre and I was billed for 6.5L. However, I was also sold 1L of BMW Long Life oil. Any difference between SLX and L-Life oil? But the prices are 24 and 20 respectively, so I presumed they are not the same. My question is, when we are prompted to top-up the oil, can we top-up a different oil?
[snapback]113532[/snapback]

As far as I could remember, standard scope includes checking things such as coolent, tire pressure, oil leaks, belts, brakes and lighting. If I remember correctly it costs about $40. You could skip this process if your car is fairly new or less than 30,000km as nothing much would fail but we never know.

Formula SLX is Castrol, which PML uses for oil change throughout the range of models except for M cars. You can pop your bonnet and take a look at your engine oil cap. Says 'BMW recommends/uses Castrol'. Castrol is also a sponsor for F1 Williams team.

Your one litre oil that they put in your boot is for topping up your engine oil only when the level is low. Comes in a neat package gloves, funnel, plastic and a handy velcro bag. Once your engine oil level light comes on, you can top it up with this oil. Think it is 10w-40. It won't affect the engine much as the oil ratio diff is 1:6.5 Anyway when you are prompted to top up the oil in anycase, it will be very close to your next oil change. Don't worry bout it.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Apr 10 2005, 11:32 AM
KKK, UDM status of BMW says it all. So if its 520i vs GS300, do you still go for the 2.2L or 3L?

Sent for my first service yesterday. And was with Zag abnd saw his bill. I have an item called Service - Standard Scope, while Zag wasn't charged for this. Why the discrepancies? What is being done in Standard Scope that was not performed in Zag's second servicing? When asked, the CSA said Zag's bill was wrong and was mumbling to himself and I did not want to pursue further.

Also on the engine oil, it was stated Formula SLX. It costs $24 per litre and I was billed for 6.5L. However, I was also sold 1L of BMW Long Life oil. Any difference between SLX and L-Life oil? But the prices are 24 and 20 respectively, so I presumed they are not the same. My question is, when we are prompted to top-up the oil, can we top-up a different oil?
[snapback]113532[/snapback]

Ah ya, forgot to tell you to decline the 1 littre spare oil purchase. When was driving 320i got prompted oil level low a few time so i have to top up myself or get PML to. But since the e60, i changed oil every 15K km so no chance to get oil level low.

How much your bill come up to be?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

I returned the 1L oil to PML, I still have some balance left from the last top-up. I have done twice, first at the 8k mark, followed by 16k. Total bill around $240, consists of $50 labour, $160 il, $15 filter and GST. Still affordable and the drive today is so smooth. Maybe I should change it at every 10k interval.

Indeed I had a report on checks mentioned by Russo, plus battery and tyre threads. At 20k mileage nothing should go wrong. Apparently the service fee for the standard scope is lower, perhaps PML now does not have to pay Russo's high salary
Old 04-11-2005, 05:32 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Apr 11 2005, 08:56 PM
I returned the 1L oil to PML, I still have some balance left from the last top-up. I have done twice, first at the 8k mark, followed by 16k. Total bill around $240, consists of $50 labour, $160 il, $15 filter and GST. Still affordable and the drive today is so smooth. Maybe I should change it at every 10k interval.

Indeed I had a report on checks mentioned by Russo, plus battery and tyre threads. At 20k mileage nothing should go wrong. Apparently the service fee for the standard scope is lower, perhaps PML now does not have to pay Russo's high salary
[snapback]114072[/snapback]
did you top up because you checked the oil stick or the indicator told you so?
my current ride doesn't seem to evaporate the oil that much compare to my e46 320i. Hm!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

I did my 1st service at 13,500km and have the same item Service - Standard Scope charged at $42.00. CSA also added the 1L of L/Life at $20.83 and the whole service came up to $280.78. I guess the billing is quite standard for everybody?

And NO, the 1L of BMW Motor Oil did not come in a neat package wif gloves, funnel, plastic and a handy velcro bag like russo said - it only came with a 25mm velcro on the surface of the plastic container so that it would stay adhered to the carpeted trim in the trunk. Anyone got the gloves,........
Old 04-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

I always made it a point to buy my own Castrol SLX oil in all my previous rides. Saves you a bundle.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Apr 11 2005, 08:56 PM

During the running in phase the engine does consume a certain amount of the engine oil as the piston rings need to 'run in'. Current M54 engines have that behaviour.

It is very much recommended to replace engine oil at 10k to 15k max interval. In our kind of harsh humidity and dusty environment, there is no way the engine oil can last up to 25k as recommended by the German engineers.

I remember 2 years ago when I was in PML, there was this 318i which came in at 25,000km sharp for her first oil change as recommended by the sales representative. I happened to be in the workshop when the technician removed the drain plug. And what suprised me was that sludge flowed out in lumps rather than the normal black engine oil! The technician gotta put in new oil, run for 5 mins and drain it out. He did it twice before putting in fresh oil. Imagine lumps of sludge lubricating your pistons rather than engine oil. Damn!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Apr 11 2005, 08:35 AM
And NO, the 1L of BMW Motor Oil did not come in a neat package wif gloves, funnel, plastic and a handy velcro bag like russo said - it only came with a 25mm velcro on the surface of the plastic container so that it would stay adhered to the carpeted trim in the trunk.? Anyone got the gloves,........?
[snapback]114083[/snapback]
When I first picked up my car, PML gave me a 1L oil in the package as described by russo. It has 2 paper funnel and 1 pair of plastic gloves I think, with the little black carrier.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Apr 11 2005, 08:32 AM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Apr 11 2005, 08:56 PM']I returned the 1L oil to PML, I still have some balance left from the last top-up. I have done twice, first at the 8k mark, followed by 16k. Total bill around $240, consists of $50 labour, $160 il, $15 filter and GST. Still affordable and the drive today is so smooth. Maybe I should change it at every 10k interval.

did you top up because you checked the oil stick or the indicator told you so?
my current ride doesn't seem to evaporate the oil that much compare to my e46 320i. Hm!
[snapback]114082[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had to top up at around 8000km; prompted by the system. Checked it, it was below the min mark. The strange thing was it came after my trip to KL, and prior to the trip I checked the oil and the dip stick showed between min and max (about 1.5L left).
Old 04-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by russo' date='Apr 10 2005, 10:08 AM
Think it is 10w-40.
[snapback]113678[/snapback]
Just before I topped up, I glanced at the bottle provided by PML, I think I saw 0w-40.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans