E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Demo Car, Warranty Expires Early?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically I went in today to get my headlight fixed and to get an oil change as well at the local dealer. When I arrived I spoke to my SA he informed me that my maintenance warranty had expired in April (2 months ago) so I was not able to get my oil change, but my mechanical warranty was still good until July (end of the month). I asked how my maintenance warranty was expired because my car didn't reach the mileage nor was it 4 years yet. She explained that the car was a Demo car and that the service warranty had began 4 months before the date of purchase. So basically since the dealer decided to use the car as a demo I had to eat 4 months of the service warranty. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before to anyone? Seems kind of like a shit situation where I have to be penalized 4 months regardless of purchase date.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

"The warranty period begins either on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator, service loaner or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. And from that moment on, your BMW is protected during the coverage period, regardless of whether you're the first owner or a subsequent owner."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte.../Warranty.aspx

Are you the original owner or purchase CPO? If so, was this policy clearly explained to you at the time of purchase...and did you sign anything saying this? A nice call to BMW NA couldn't hurt - all they could do is say no but you might get lucky.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gcvt
"The warranty period begins either on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator, service loaner or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. And from that moment on, your BMW is protected during the coverage period, regardless of whether you're the first owner or a subsequent owner."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte.../Warranty.aspx

Are you the original owner or purchase CPO? If so, was this policy clearly explained to you at the time of purchase...and did you sign anything saying this? A nice call to BMW NA couldn't hurt - all they could do is say no but you might get lucky.
Well that clears things up I guess, but it is still a shitty policy. No I'm not the original owner I purchased the car about a year and half ago, the thing that ticks me off is that every time I called BMW to ask when my warranty would expire since I've had the car I've was told 3 separate times July. If I would have known April I would have brought it in earlier to have all the fluids and all that mess changed before it had expired. Just feel really taken advantage of, but I guess there isn't anyone to blame since they probably were confused as well. I guess the lesson here is to always check the Maintenance and Mechanical warranty separately since they can have different expiring dates, even if the vehicle is on the original warranty.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Well that clears things up I guess, but it is still a shitty policy. No I'm not the original owner I purchased the car about a year and half ago, the thing that ticks me off is that every time I called BMW to ask when my warranty would expire since I've had the car I've was told 3 separate times July. If I would have known April I would have brought it in earlier to have all the fluids and all that mess changed before it had expired. Just feel really taken advantage of, but I guess there isn't anyone to blame since they probably were confused as well. I guess the lesson here is to always check the Maintenance and Mechanical warranty separately since they can have different expiring dates, even if the vehicle is on the original warranty.
This is why a very nice and calm phone call to BMW NA may yield a positive result for you. They're not necessarily trying to screw you over, nor are you trying to screw them over. A simple misunderstanding may lead to a free oil change for you in the interest of customer retention.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 550i
Default Class Action Re Warranty on Demo Cars

I am Plaintiff's counsel in a nationwide class action against BMW concerning the issue described above: BMW selling "demo" vehicles as "new," and consumers getting less than the full 4 years of warranty coverage as a result. In the case, we are seeking to have BMW compensate owners for this shortened warranty, or simply to honor the full four years of coverage for demo cars sold as "new." The case is Saini v. BMW of North America, Inc., No. 2:12-cv-06105-CCC-JAD in the United States District Court of New Jersey. The case is brought on behalf of all people since September 2006 who purchased a BMW "demo" vehicle represented in the contract of sale as "new".

As part of our ongoing investigation, we are reaching out to potential class members to learn more about their experiences with this issue. I can be reached at the contact information below.

Best,

William R. Restis, Esq.
Finkelstein & Krinsk, LLP
501 West Broadway, Suite 1250
San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: 877-493-5366
Fax: 619-238-1333
email: wrr@classactionlaw.com
Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

Well you can't get a much better reply than that, huh!??