E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Rear Middle Passenger Headrest Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

So, I'm about to get my car in like a week. The anticipation is killing me but I actually like that feeling more than when I drive the car for the first time. That's just me. I'm coming from a 06 E90 and although I never really sit in the back, it's a bit tight for 3 people since it is a smaller ride compared to the E60. Before my visit, I always hear the 5 is so much roomier and it's really comforting for 3 passengers in the rear. Some even told me, it's like my X5. So during my visit, I went immediately to the back seats of the car first .
I drew the conclusion that it was definitely roomier but I wasn't impress because the passenger sitting in the middle (aka bitch seat to me) seems very discomforting because of the floor molding in the sedans and of course SUV like the X5 did have that except it was like an half an inch high. It didn't bother me that much since I expected it. So fast forward to the present, and the more picture shots I see of the back, the more I'm getting annoyed because now the middle armrest/headrest seems like it's crap for even a small size adult to sit in? I did not sit really inspect that part during the examination since I only sat behind the driver seat. The headrest seems pretty low for a headrest position and weirdly shaped. How comfortable is it? Should I be right in hating it? My 3 series did not have the headrest and armrest together. It was a separate piece. Is this true for the 08 528 or are the pictures I''m seeing deceive me? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I've tried sitting in this seat and didn't have any probs with the headrest

The problem with the middle seat in the back is the lack of leg room. You have to straddle the center hump, so your feet have nowhere to go but under the front seats - which is where the passengers on either side have their feet located.

Also anybody who sits in this seat is bound to scuff the carpet by dragging their feet over the center hump.

IMO - this seat is good for small people or kids, but that's it.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Members

I'm aware of the floor molding and I also agree with you completely. Is there a purpose for it? I'm assuming it's mostly wires running through that? I already know about the wiring under the pillars. Why can't they make the center molding without the high divider like the SUVs? I'm also wondering why BMW just didn't make the headrest like the E90 and with a separate armrest. Coming from a 3 series rear center armrest, I'm not impressed at all with the 5 really. If they somehow designed it like the 7 series, without any gap, that would of been much nicer. If I wanted to fit just two adult passengers and a child, I could of just stick with the 3 I guess . I assumed that the 5 series would sit 3 adult size passengers comfortably like the X5. You don't feel awkward with the headrest? It seems awfully uncomfortable from the pictures because of the shape. It seems like the middle passenger can really lean back without tilting the head forward. I guess it's just me maybe.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='616425' date='Jul 4 2008, 11:09 AM
So, I'm about to get my car in like a week. The anticipation is killing me but I actually like that feeling more than when I drive the car for the first time. That's just me. I'm coming from a 06 E90 and although I never really sit in the back, it's a bit tight for 3 people since it is a smaller ride compared to the E60. Before my visit, I always hear the 5 is so much roomier and it's really comforting for 3 passengers in the rear. Some even told me, it's like my X5. So during my visit, I went immediately to the back seats of the car first .
I drew the conclusion that it was definitely roomier but I wasn't impress because the passenger sitting in the middle (aka bitch seat to me) seems very discomforting because of the floor molding in the sedans and of course SUV like the X5 did have that except it was like an half an inch high. It didn't bother me that much since I expected it. So fast forward to the present, and the more picture shots I see of the back, the more I'm getting annoyed because now the middle armrest/headrest seems like it's crap for even a small size adult to sit in? I did not sit really inspect that part during the examination since I only sat behind the driver seat. The headrest seems pretty low for a headrest position and weirdly shaped. How comfortable is it? Should I be right in hating it? My 3 series did not have the headrest and armrest together. It was a separate piece. Is this true for the 08 528 or are the pictures I''m seeing deceive me? Any feedback is appreciated.
I really would not know as it is virtually impossible to drive my E60 from the center rear seat!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='616918' date='Jul 5 2008, 02:12 PM
I really would not know as it is virtually impossible to drive my E60 from the center rear seat!!!
hahaha. i was thinking the same thing.
i know you are concerned for your friends etc. If it's a long ride, pull over every so frequent for them to switch it up.
the CLS doesn't even have the middle section. lol
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Members

Correction, what I meant to say was it seems like the middle passenger can't really lean back without tilting the head forward because of the oddly shaped armrest/headrest. Give it time flying, BMW will eventually come out with a mind control car. You'll be relaxing in the back in no time .
Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='616955' date='Jul 5 2008, 03:02 PM
Correction, what I meant to say was it seems like the middle passenger can't really lean back without tilting the head forward because of the oddly shaped armrest/headrest. Give it time flying, BMW will eventually come out with a mind control car. You'll be relaxing in the back in no time .
maybe when the F series comes out.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='616955' date='Jul 5 2008, 12:02 PM
...Give it time flying, BMW will eventually come out with a mind control car. You'll be relaxing in the back in no time .
Nah, I'll still be "relaxing" in the Driver's seat!!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Don't think any of the headrests in the back seat are any good...comfortwise
Maybe good if one is hit in the rear by another car, but comfy? Nooo...
Old 07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I am surprised the center rear headrest doesn't violate some safety standard. It sure blocks a significant amount of the driver's rear view. Considering the two rear passenger headrest's view-blocking added to the center rear view blocking - I'd remove it if I could.

Quick Reply: E60 Rear Middle Passenger Headrest Comfort