E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 problems.....help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1v
Hi All,
Ive plugged in a digital voltmeter to my cigarette socket the last couple of days to observe the voltage.

Driving steadily without switching any additional electrical equipment on, the voltage fluctuates between 13.5V and 14.6V, this is when the car is behaving itself.

On the way to work this morning, I had the sudden flash of errors and noticed the voltage was down to 13.0V

Does this still sound like the voltage regulator part of the alternator?
Yes, this could certainly be the voltage regulator. There could be other causes, but this is high on the list. When I measured the voltage with my cigarette lighter voltmeter, the car ran fine for a few minutes, then the big voltage swings and system failures. Looking at the Bavarian Autosport website where I bought my parts, they cite the alternator as being 180 amps. I've driven the car about 700 miles since the repair, with no recurrence.

When this failure mode first started, it was only occasional. I could go months without a re-occurrence. A simple restart of the car would reset the error message and performance faults. It then became more frequent, and then finally continuous.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BlueRocket
Let us know how you make out.
Well I've managed to fix my issue, thanks to the kind people on here!
During the winter I've not really driven my car much, so wasn't in a hurry to get it fixed. I was driving around once every 3 weeks for a 5 minute journey.

I took the car out one Saturday, left the voltmeter in and the car decided to really play up... I kept my eye on the voltmeter and it was jumping 13V-18.5V, so I was confidant it was the alternator as you previously mentioned.

Dropped it into my local garage, 24 hrs later and £500 lighter the car is fixed.
This was a few weeks back and I've given it a good drive since without any signs of problems.

Thanks for the pointers guys