E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have a 2005 e60 530 i. Mileage is 97000km's. I recently had "engine overheating" warning signal pop up on my Idrive. When I pull over and switch off the car for about ten minutes the warning disappears. It is also intermittent, no fixed pattern for example I could drive the vehicle for 50km's and it would be fine alternatively Icould drive for 10km's and then get the warning and have to pull over. Took the car to my mac and he diagnosed with the BMW diagnostic machine. No error codes related to the problem. He also tested water pump and as far as he is concerned it is working fine, car continuously pumps water through the expansion tank when the ignition is left on. He figured it was the thermostat and we replaced that. We then found a leak in the radiator and replaced that. Also replace the temperature sensor (slots into one of the water hoses leading from the radiator). I had a look at some other forums on the internet and other drivers of these cars have exoperienced similar problems, some put it down to faulty water pump, others a faulty oil level sensor ? I WILL Replace the water pump if need be but my mac is pretty confident that the water pump is fine. Anyone have any advice on how to test/diagnose a faulty water pump for these cars or have any advice on how to solve the overheating problem ?
Thanks...

Bobby
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

I'm new to these cars so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I though I read that the OEM water pump has a plastic impeller. If this is true you may want to consider replacing the pump.

My wife's Jag also had a plastic impeller and at about 60K miles I was driving the car and I noticed that the temperature gauge was running hotter than usually. It wasn't overheating but it was a difference that I could see on the gauge.

I pressure tested the cooling system (OK). The coolant and thermostat were known to be good.

I pulled the water pump and the impeller was worn down more than 1/2 and some parts were starting to disintegrate and/or break away.

Installed a new pump and problem was solved.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

A friend of mine just had this problem and the car sits in the shop today for this. Same overheating mainly in traffic or in town. Highway was ok. He changed the sensor at the top of the radiator and he said this seemed to fix it. The following week, he had the problems again and the car got really hot so he had it tow?d to the indy shop. They reported back and confirmed the fan was not working properly and I think he also said something about a fan clutch. They were able to test the fan by connecting power directly to it and determined this was the problem. I guess he'll really know in the next days when he collects the car.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

When the car is overheating is the radiator fan on?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Update to my previous response. My friend just called and said he got is 07 530 out of the indy shop. The car was overheating during traffic and in town but not much on the highway. The repair was the radiator fan and a relay. They showed him where the relay was on a schematic and he thought it was near the main e-box area. They told him the relay caused the fan to burn up... Both were replaced and cost him about 700.00 and so far so good...!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
New Members

I just shared my experience with water pump malfunction on this topic https://5series.net/forums/topic/122...ter-pump-test/ maybe it could help you
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm guessing the thermostat and the water pump should be switched out anyhow, just as a precaution with that kind of mileage. Check your coolant reservoir for any traces of oil. Do you have any visible oil leaks around the front of the engine? If yes, I would almost bet that it's the gaskets for the oil heat exchanger - they are less than 20 bucks from the dealer and are really easy to replace. Here are the part numbers: 11427537293 & 11427525335

Here's a diagram (parts 4 and 5):
http://realoem.com/b...753&hg=11&fg=30

Check your radiator hoses to see if there's any deformity to any of them - that's a sign that's oil has been in there. Not a good sign, but on these engines, 999 times of a 1000 it's the gaskets I told you about above.

Radiator fan is a fairly common issue on the E60 and you should retest everything to BMW factory specs (like a dealer would, basically). Sometimes, these things don't show themselves during testing though, so it is a bit of a pain to diagnose.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Oooops, that hurts. I had this overheat last summer, it was a $2k+ fix. They had to replace the water pump and thermostat. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
When the car is overheating is the radiator fan on?

Yeah, fan is aslways ON when overheating signal pops up
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'm guessing the thermostat and the water pump should be switched out anyhow, just as a precaution with that kind of mileage. Check your coolant reservoir for any traces of oil. Do you have any visible oil leaks around the front of the engine? If yes, I would almost bet that it's the gaskets for the oil heat exchanger - they are less than 20 bucks from the dealer and are really easy to replace. Here are the part numbers: 11427537293 & 11427525335

Here's a diagram (parts 4 and 5):
http://realoem.com/b...753&hg=11&fg=30

Check your radiator hoses to see if there's any deformity to any of them - that's a sign that's oil has been in there. Not a good sign, but on these engines, 999 times of a 1000 it's the gaskets I told you about above.

Radiator fan is a fairly common issue on the E60 and you should retest everything to BMW factory specs (like a dealer would, basically). Sometimes, these things don't show themselves during testing though, so it is a bit of a pain to diagnose.

thanks Buddy, great help!, will follow your suggestions and see what gives.

Quick Reply: E60 Overheating