E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Oil Level Sensor Malfunction - Diagnosed as faulty sensor and repl

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello First time poster here.

The other day i had the engine oil level sensor fault diagnosed on my E60 545i 2003. I took it in to a local Indy who diagnosed it as being a dodgy oil level sensor. I then took it to another Indy who said the same and quoted me £235 to change the item parts and labour. As many BMW owners had DIY replaced this part quite easily i though i might as well get the parts and do the same (I even had a copy of BMW TIS which specifically had a document for replacing the Oil level sensor). I managed to get the parts for about £130 total and had the parts changed by dad's friend who is a mechanic for over 20 years. He only charged me £20 for what was basically an oil service with sensor replacement.

Anyway it all sounded good, drove away from the garage with no annoying lights but also noticed that under the tab 'engine oil level' the computer was telling me that a measurement was not availible at this time. I thought fair enough, probably needs a while to calculate that after driving the car. 10 Mins later i check control messages 'engine oil level sensor fault'.

So now i dont know what to do from here. The car is due for its maintenance check at the end of the year, i was thinking of leaving this fault till then and getting the problem fixed as part of the service. The fault isnt doing anything apart from giving me that annoying bonging noise when turning the engine off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Forbidden8701
Hello First time poster here.

The other day i had the engine oil level sensor fault diagnosed on my E60 545i 2003. I took it in to a local Indy who diagnosed it as being a dodgy oil level sensor. I then took it to another Indy who said the same and quoted me £235 to change the item parts and labour. As many BMW owners had DIY replaced this part quite easily i though i might as well get the parts and do the same (I even had a copy of BMW TIS which specifically had a document for replacing the Oil level sensor). I managed to get the parts for about £130 total and had the parts changed by dad's friend who is a mechanic for over 20 years. He only charged me £20 for what was basically an oil service with sensor replacement.

Anyway it all sounded good, drove away from the garage with no annoying lights but also noticed that under the tab 'engine oil level' the computer was telling me that a measurement was not availible at this time. I thought fair enough, probably needs a while to calculate that after driving the car. 10 Mins later i check control messages 'engine oil level sensor fault'.

So now i dont know what to do from here. The car is due for its maintenance check at the end of the year, i was thinking of leaving this fault till then and getting the problem fixed as part of the service. The fault isnt doing anything apart from giving me that annoying bonging noise when turning the engine off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I had a related situation with my car. Although I did not have the "Engine Oil Level Sensor Fault", the iDrive was counting down to just a few thousand miles left before change was required - even though the oil had just been changed. I decided that I probably needed a new sensor and crawled under the car to see how involved the job looked before I decided to undertake it... what I found was a frayed/torn wiring harness going to the sensor connector. I just unhooked the connector to give me some slack to work with and got out my soldering iron and shrink tube... 30 mins later, the problem was solved.

BTW I am the 2nd owner of this car (2006 530i) I KNOW it sat on the dealer lot I bought if from for at least 4 months.... I suspect rodents were responsible for this damage. I have since gone carefully over/under the engine bay to inspect all of the wiring harness that I can see just to make sure there are no more surprises!

May not be your issue... but it's worth a look and it shouldn't cost to much either.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AZ530i
Recently I had a related situation with my car. Although I did not have the "Engine Oil Level Sensor Fault", the iDrive was counting down to just a few thousand miles left before change was required - even though the oil had just been changed. I decided that I probably needed a new sensor and crawled under the car to see how involved the job looked before I decided to undertake it... what I found was a frayed/torn wiring harness going to the sensor connector. I just unhooked the connector to give me some slack to work with and got out my soldering iron and shrink tube... 30 mins later, the problem was solved.

BTW I am the 2nd owner of this car (2006 530i) I KNOW it sat on the dealer lot I bought if from for at least 4 months.... I suspect rodents were responsible for this damage. I have since gone carefully over/under the engine bay to inspect all of the wiring harness that I can see just to make sure there are no more surprises!

May not be your issue... but it's worth a look and it shouldn't cost to much either.
Thanks. The only thing i can think off is the wiring. It isnt really a major issue, more of an annoyance. I'll probably leave it till the car goes in for the Maintenance check. But really with a car like this there shouldn't be any bongs and noises going off. Ive owned a 330ci prior to this and that was solid and much less complicated. Damn BMW and their overengineering.

P.S the 545i Kicks ass when working.