E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 oem car bluetooth mic is not working well

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I can hear everyone fine through my speakers but when im driving the person im speaking too can hear alot of background noise and cannot hear me well unless im leaning forward and speaking very loud. I was wondering if there is some sort of upgrade or cleaning ritual out there or something I could do to make the microphone in the car better. Any advise would be great
Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by om51015
I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I can hear everyone fine through my speakers but when im driving the person im speaking too can hear alot of background noise and cannot hear me well unless im leaning forward and speaking very loud. I was wondering if there is some sort of upgrade or cleaning ritual out there or something I could do to make the microphone in the car better. Any advise would be great
The microphone is in the light assembly front center of the headliner ... be sure nothing is obstructing the slotted grill area ... I suppose It's possible the microphone is defective. Does voice activation work for other functions or do you have to repeat your self? Also, if you are driving with windows open or the heat/ac blowing on max I find the system hears all that noise too.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The microphones can and do fail from time to time. Not saying that is the problem, but you can exchange phone and voice activation mics to see if the problem gets solved. FYI, I believe the mics have noise cancellation technology to help cut down on background noise (the newer ones do anyways).
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Members

It may well be a problem with the Bluetooth connection between the car and the phone and nothing about the mic.
This is a know issue with BMW Bluetooth.

What phone are you using?

In my E61 my main phone (Samsung Omnia II) has that same problem. I began using an old Sony-Ericsson and all works perfectly.

Try another phone to check it.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
The microphone is in the light assembly front center of the headliner ... be sure nothing is obstructing the slotted grill area ... I suppose It's possible the microphone is defective. Does voice activation work for other functions or do you have to repeat your self? Also, if you are driving with windows open or the heat/ac blowing on max I find the system hears all that noise too.
Nothing obstructing it, all stock on the inside. Voice activation and other features work ok if I happen not to be driving, any change in climate.. driving on fwy, ac turned past 3/4 mark or windows down (most obvious) makes it difficult to carry a conversation.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
The microphones can and do fail from time to time. Not saying that is the problem, but you can exchange phone and voice activation mics to see if the problem gets solved. FYI, I believe the mics have noise cancellation technology to help cut down on background noise (the newer ones do anyways).
My e60 is a 2006 530i, "exchanging phone and voice activation mics" is this a feature that I can change on I-Drive ?? or is that a part upgrade I would have to purchase?? if so where??
thanx
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pmgoliv
It may well be a problem with the Bluetooth connection between the car and the phone and nothing about the mic.
This is a know issue with BMW Bluetooth.

What phone are you using?

In my E61 my main phone (Samsung Omnia II) has that same problem. I began using an old Sony-Ericsson and all works perfectly.

Try another phone to check it.
I did have a connectivity issue in the past with my previous phone (HTC) from sprint I believe, but I now have a Black Berry Curve and it works alot better now, but I think the problem still lies in the mic due to the fact that people say they can hear me but there is alot of noise or sounds like i am in a wind tunnel and when its their turn to talk they are distracted by the noise in the back ground.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by om51015
My e60 is a 2006 530i, "exchanging phone and voice activation mics" is this a feature that I can change on I-Drive ?? or is that a part upgrade I would have to purchase?? if so where??
thanx
No, you (might) have both mics already installed. Look up between rearview mirror and sunroof. If you see mic covers, then simply remove the panel containing the mics and swap them side to side. One mic is for voice activation and the other for bluetooth. If the problem switches from phone to voice activation, you know you have a bad mic.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

I am also having the same problem... Ive posted this on here beofre.... have a look my situation as well!

https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...l-breaking-up/
Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Meant to say "If you see TWO mic covers"...

Suggestion: Try another know working and compatible phone. After that, swap or replace the mics. Not sure when BMW improved the mics, but they have. The mics can and do fail.

Quick Reply: e60 oem car bluetooth mic is not working well