E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 non sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum so please understand if I don't know all of the car lingo or if I ask something silly. I bought a 2006 550i non sport about two months ago. At the time that I bought it, I didn't know much about the car and didn't realize that there was a sport and a non sport suspension. I want to stiffen up the suspension for interstate/highway driving. Its just too bouncy and wavy like. I don't, however, want to lower the car. I like the way it sits on the factory springs. I am also not that concerned about how it corners. I just want it to be tighter to the road when on the highway. Can I just change the shocks/struts to something like the Koni adjustables? Would this help? Please let me know any suggestions.

I almost forgot. I did get the 124 wheels already.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rescomstl@yahoo.com' post='738041' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:47 PM
I am new to this forum so please understand if I don't know all of the car lingo or if I ask something silly. I bought a 2006 550i non sport about two months ago. At the time that I bought it, I didn't know much about the car and didn't realize that there was a sport and a non sport suspension. I want to stiffen up the suspension for interstate/highway driving. Its just too bouncy and wavy like. I don't, however, want to lower the car. I like the way it sits on the factory springs. I am also not that concerned about how it corners. I just want it to be tighter to the road when on the highway. Can I just change the shocks/struts to something like the Koni adjustables? Would this help? Please let me know any suggestions.

I almost forgot. I did get the 124 wheels already.
I have stock sport springs 4sale if interested please lmk.. this will solve your problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='738042' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:50 PM
I have stock sport springs 4sale if interested please lmk.. this will solve your problem.
So are you saying that the springs are causing the bouncy wavy ride and not the shocks? I am interested but I first want to make sure that I am doing the right change. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Actually, seems like you just need to stiffen up the shocks / struts. The sports springs will help in combination, but will lower your car slightly. by about .7 inches.

The shocks/struts will make ur car more tight / non bounce. when you turn it'll stay at the same level if u get performance shocks / struts. If you get both the shocks and struts, it'll make the combination better by lowering your stance and stiffening up the ride a bit.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='738086' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:43 PM
Actually, seems like you just need to stiffen up the shocks / struts. The sports springs will help in combination, but will lower your car slightly. by about .7 inches.

The shocks/struts will make ur car more tight / non bounce. when you turn it'll stay at the same level if u get performance shocks / struts. If you get both the shocks and struts, it'll make the combination better by lowering your stance and stiffening up the ride a bit.
Thanks for your help. Thats exactly what I needed to know. Do you think the Koni adjustables would be good for the ride that I'm looking for?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

most popular have been either the Konis or the Bilsteins. +1 I would go for a spring and shock combo as well, or even if you wanted the stiffest would be coilovers instead of springs and shocks and you can adjust the height to whatever you like. let me know if I can help with anything
Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Members

HI. I have a UK 545 E60, same wallowy problem. I am fitting a Bilstein handling kit. I am at present between a fixed rate damper or a nine point adjustable damper, I just don't know if, for a road car, I need that much adjustability. ?500 between prices. Both are coilovers, both can adjust ride height, only one has adj damper settings. Probably that's what I'll go for. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails e60 non sport suspension-26092008030.jpg  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

this seems a tough thing to do without lowering your car, even on coilovers the highest setting will still be lower then stock. I may suggest some 19"-20" rims however, I know this stiffened up my ride when I put my 19's on and now its even stiffer with the shocks and springs. But definitely a set of really low profile tires will take a lot of the bounce out.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Look up BigMike, he has the Eibach Pro Kit with only new springs.
It will lower the car 30 mm.

I'm close to get it, too.

The best option is of course the OEM BMW M shock and spring kit.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Agreed with what's been said. It seems like you only need the shocks since you don't want to lower the car. You could go with a set of OEM shocks or a set of after market ones. Feel free to check out the shocks we offer here and let us know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: e60 non sport suspension