5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   E60 Multimedia Interface Engine Whine Alternator (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/e60-multimedia-interface-engine-whine-alternator-133675/)

sydmaz 06-22-2013 03:22 PM

E60 Multimedia Interface Engine Whine Alternator

i have fitted a used multimedia interface from xcarlink in my e60.
i get an alternator whine noise through my speakers on my freeview dvb-t.
please can anyone give some ideas

H F 06-22-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by sydmaz (Post 1510908)
i have fitted a used multimedia interface from xcarlink in my e60.
i get an alternator whine noise through my speakers on my freeview dvb-t.
please can anyone give some ideas

I have the same alternator whine u can hear it as the rpms go up .. But mine has been there ever since the dealer installed the aux cable. I just recently installed a noise filter , it did lessen the noise and helped some and its not as loud but its still there. My son works for Northrup Gruman quality assurance maintanence department on military aircraft for the airforce , he said it is and called it a dirty ground, that some how is intergrated with the speaker system.

tpaxadpom 06-22-2013 09:46 PM

Make sure the cables carrying line level signals (interconnects) are separated from 12v power cables. If they have to cross make sure this happens at the right angle ( perpendicular to each other). I am not familiar with the device you are talking about but if you have RCA/3.5 mm interconnects use high quality shielded cables. It is best to ground all components at one spot. BMW is using optical cables for a good reason to break ground loops.

sydmaz 07-18-2013 02:00 PM

thank you for your responses
i seem to hear it even through my phone when connected for music. but its a constant tone. i have grounded to the BMW ground point under the right tail light. That is one thing my RCA are of cheap quality. i have just ordered some expensive cabling hope that makes the difference but knowing my luck it wont. My main aim is to connect my windows 8 PC with voice recognition and intelligent assistant but i need clear sound for optimum efficiency.
and thanks again tpaxadpom and H F

KyleB 07-18-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sydmaz (Post 1513346)
thank you for your responses
i seem to hear it even through my phone when connected for music. but its a constant tone. i have grounded to the BMW ground point under the right tail light. That is one thing my RCA are of cheap quality. i have just ordered some expensive cabling hope that makes the difference but knowing my luck it wont. My main aim is to connect my windows 8 PC with voice recognition and intelligent assistant but i need clear sound for optimum efficiency.
and thanks again tpaxadpom and H F

High quality RCA cables can make a world of difference. If you ever build a stereo system, it's the one thing you do not want to skimp on.

make sure your signal cables are separated from your power cables. make sure you have good grounds to all of your components.

good luck, hope the better RCAs do the trick

roskinc 07-21-2013 06:31 PM

Add a ground loops isolator to the line. Worked for me

Boost7 07-22-2013 03:25 PM

take a look here, one of the noise filters on this site might be able to solve your issue.

Navone Engineering Inc. » Filters & Noise Suppressors