E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 more distinctive than F10; why would you trade in for the new one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

Just walking back to my E60 and it is such a distinctive design - sporty, aggressive, taut, given me so many motoring moments of sheer pleasure.
Thinking of the F10 due mid-2010, I am not sure I am going to trade in for what appears to be a safe yet soul-less upgrade.

Please tell me why you would trade in your E60 for the F10?!

If any of you in the States have seen the new Jaguar XJ or even the XFR; you would feel my pain. (!)
I am worried a brand I swore I would never walk away from is begining to lose its karma.

P.S. Been a quiet member who has really enjoyed this forum, learnt so much, felt your enthusiasm
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SpokenHands' post='940631' date='Jul 13 2009, 08:14 AM
Just walking back to my E60 and it is such a distinctive design - sporty, aggressive, taut, given me so many motoring moments of sheer pleasure.
Thinking of the F10 due mid-2010, I am not sure I am going to trade in for what appears to be a safe yet soul-less upgrade.

Please tell me why you would trade in your E60 for the F10?!

If any of you in the States have seen the new Jaguar XJ or even the XFR; you would feel my pain. (!)
I am worried a brand I swore I would never walk away from is begining to lose its karma.

P.S. Been a quiet member who has really enjoyed this forum, learnt so much, felt your enthusiasm

E34 was very good car, often voted best in class until it was replaced by E39
E39 was a Gem and again best in class until replaced, took the "5 series theme" on by at least 2 levels of evolution
E60 was seen as a downer largey due to it's "uniqueness" (interior and exterior), and equal in some ways, but not so in others. BMW got cocky went too radical.
F10? I suppose ultimately that F10 will be safer and more technically advanced, but how much better only time will tell.

It's biggest competition won't be the outgoing E60 - it'll be the New E and the XF - having driven the latter I can see why it win's so many awards etc. but it has some handicaps - just open the cup holders - they're even worse than the E60's!! very creaky and artificial woody feeling. It drives and looks more Ford "edge" design than svelt Jag...and many jag traditionalists don't like it as it's been "Scorpio'd". Now it's owned by Tata there will be vans and lories called Jaguar too

I do like the new E now though (I hated it at first) - not driven one yet, but it looks the part - somehow retro and modern all in one.

The best "feel" for the F10 has got to be the 5GT, which I think it awesome! Very Merc R class, but good nonetheless....

So to answer your question, I might buy the F10, but it has to be a compelling decision...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

These same kind of debates went on when the E39 was replaced by the E60. At first, the styling of the E60 was denounced by enthusiasts and the automotive press. But people grew to like the styling, the significant upgrade in the interior and features and the greater power.

For me, I love the way my 550 looks. But the F10 550 will be a much much faster car (360 bhp and 360 ft-lbs of torque for E60 550 vs 400 (or 407) bhp and 450 ft-lbs of torque for F10 550).

I love power so for me, the significant increase in power is reason enought to want the F10. The interior upgrades and electronics upgrades look like they will be significant too.

I agree with you that the E60's styling is very very unique, bold and visionary. Ther latest F10 spyshots look like we'll be getting a more conservatively styled car, in the proud tradition of the E39 (which I still miss

But regardless of the style, my most important view and perspective is sitting in the driver's seat, flooring it, peeling away from stoplights, passing on the highway and bombing the twisties. I just love to drive for the plesaure of driving. As a result, for me, power and handling are the major priorities. And I really like what I see from the F10 in those departments..
Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

Thanks for these replies - I cannot agree more with your views.

I love the new E-class Coupe and the Jaguar XF.
I saw the 5-Series GT at the Festival of Speed Goodwood and it kind of left me underwhelmed - sure it is more practical: flexible, innovative seating position, with its sliding rear bench offering 7-Series space and great dynamics (untested) that come standard with BMW.

The new car sales guy asked me what I'd like to trade up/in to and I couldnt think of anything I would really like to have from the current model range.
I guess I love my E60 far too much (though the M3 is a very tasty proposition!)

Thanks again
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SpokenHands' post='940681' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for these replies - I cannot agree more with your views.

I love the new E-class Coupe and the Jaguar XF.
I saw the 5-Series GT at the Festival of Speed Goodwood and it kind of left me underwhelmed - sure it is more practical: flexible, innovative seating position, with its sliding rear bench offering 7-Series space and great dynamics (untested) that come standard with BMW.

The new car sales guy asked me what I'd like to trade up/in to and I couldnt think of anything I would really like to have from the current model range.
I guess I love my E60 far too much (though the M3 is a very tasty proposition!)

Thanks again
I think that the 5 Series GT is an ugly duckling. But the very recent spyshots of the F10 look far more attractive than the GT.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Hmmm, well

When the E60 came out I really didn't like the rear quarters and light arrangement, was far too "American'ised" for my taste, I also did not care for the eyebrows around the top of the headlight, everything else I quite liked.

I have owned (and still own) a E34, and E46 since the E60 was launched, and in that time the E60 has really grown on me, it still to me looks super modern and stylish whilst very pleasing to the eye in general.

I have LOATHED the 1 series since release, and still do, with the exception of the coupe version, I LOATH all the pics of the new 5 I have seen thus far.........on that basis I will probably either change to a 3 series next time or change brands, or maybe just get the newest / latest E60 I can when it comes to changing.

There is not a single thing I like about the new 5.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Nothin to do with the new F10 but I saw the new X6 in person and I just drooled. It looks so friggen amazing.

Also, my next car is going to be a 6 series, no doubt. I just love that coupe.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='940737' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:30 AM
Nothin to do with the new F10 but I saw the new X6 in person and I just drooled. It looks so friggen amazing.
+1. The X6 has bold love it or hate it styling. I am in the love it camp.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='940637' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:32 AM
But regardless of the style, my most important view and perspective is sitting in the driver's seat, flooring it, peeling away from stoplights, passing on the highway and bombing the twisties. I just love to drive for the plesaure of driving. As a result, for me, power and handling are the major priorities. And I really like what I see from the F10 in those departments..
+1

The soul of BMW has always been more in the way it drives than how it looks. We won't know much until sometime late next spring about how the F10 does it this regard - but that new tt V8 is going to be delicious.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='940743' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:34 AM
+1. The X6 has bold love it or hate it styling. I am in the love it camp.

You really gotta see it in person, too. It has such a commanding presence and stance.

Quick Reply: E60 more distinctive than F10; why would you trade in for the new one?